Stealth/Fogman Setup

mbrann

Hey all. Hoping to get some insight from those running a connelly stealth or Fogman setup. I just recently picked up a stealth system from h20 after a knee blow out from only one leg coming out of my animals. Anyhow, I got the gear but I am underwhelmed by the instructions. The adapter plates are no longer available and the instructions do not provide dimensions for mounting the release units. This system seems like it would be very sensitive to releases being mounted correctly. I would love to find a prophecy with stealth mounts, but it looks like I will most likely be mounting these to a homemade plate for my HO. Anyone know what the nylon blocks supplied are for?

• Baller

Attached is the Fogman manual from 2007. not sure this answers all your questions but it's a start. the 1/8 in. spacing between the release units and the mounting plate is critical. I assume that the nylon blocks are the spacers that @LeonL mentioned. Whether you use them or make very accurate measurements to mount the release units, is your choice as long as the 1/8 in. spacing is held.

I have posted in the past that for me, the Fogman system has fortunately been very good/safe (10+ yrs user). The one fall due to a pre-release occurred when the spacing of one of the release units was off by 1/16 in (i.e. 3/16 instead of 1/8)

• Baller
@mbrann, my ski partner uses the Stealth system but drilled/mounted the release units directly on the ski. he has a G10 adapter plate that he has not used for a long time. I have no idea if he would sell it, but can ask if you would like

Great input guys. I appreciate the file @rfa. Do you know if it is the connelly unit or something homemade? Skip reached out to me after seeing this since we had been in toucharge from SIA. He pointed out that my nylon blocks are used to set the spacing of the releases from the binder plate. Makes sense now, but I could not visual it before. Sounds silly but I have been experimenting with different mounting positions on a 2x6. The setup is very sensitive to how these are mounted. Going to test it with using the nylon blocks to space it out and see how that goes.

Here are the blocks supplied and my understanding of how they should be positioned (with the pins removed). These blocks set the spacing from the release units and then I reinstall the pins and springs. Does that seem correct? I might have a line on a prophecy, but I'm on a tight budget after the medical bills and binders. What would be a fair price for a 13/14 68" prophecy?aozc2jqknaaq.jpg

fom5f7a2fzwm.jpg

• Baller_

FYI, you have Connolly release units and plate, but those are not Stealth boots. What you have is closer to a Fogman set up, though they are not Fogman boots either. With some adjustment on the boots, and some binding rotation as needed, you'll have a great set up. If you email me your phone number after Wednesday next week, I'll help you tune your boots and ski. I ride the same set up, except I have Fogman boots. wilkins@northnet.org

Intended to post this yesterday. I see you are in Orlando. I'll be there Wednesday. Touch base Wednesday and if you like you can meet me at LaPoints Thursdsy.

Lpskier

Pretty disappointed in my initial outting. I blew out my hardshells. They were old and must have been brittle. Had to hack up the stealth boots. I have all the tendons in my toes released due to a bad ankle break. I couldn't get into the the front stealth. I know look rough, but taking out some of the carbon fiber structure in toe area let's the boot flex more. Haven't tried them out yet. I am interested in looking for some size 11 fogman boots if anyone has some lying around. a2xh455j90u4.jpg

hjazgras3ix0.jpg

• Baller_
The Stealth tongue alone can be used on a Fogman boot if you want a stiffer forward flex or if you think it will provide a degree of safety. One of my ski partners used a tongue on his Fogmans and then used it on a Reflex this summer.

Lpskier

• Baller

I cringe at stuff like this. Unless you are a very accomplished skier (and even then I still cringe but hold back saying anything), messing around with out of date, non-production, custom brewed bindings is a recipe for, at the very least non-productive skiing... likely worse.

Contact the 3 or 4 independent binding manufacturers and explain your story and buy one of their products, then focus on your skiing.