Radar vapor delaminating at tail

wtrskior

• Baller

I noticed a few spots at the tail of my green vapor that appeared the top sheet separating earlier this season but it didn't seem to be getting worse, then to my astonishment I pulled my ski out after not using it for a month and the entire top sheet has started to I'll away from the tail. Why??

I keep the ski in the same spot in a dry and climate controlled basement. I let it dry out inside after almost every ski and never leave it in the sun. I also have a fin firkin on thr tail which protects it from dings.

I've seen other green vapors do the same thing but always told myself I take better care of my ski tan most..

Is there any way to fix it? I don't want it pulling up anymore. I'm skiing this weekend too..

teivw59zchnm.jpg

• Baller
I had the same issue with my Strada. I used a thin viscosity C/A glue that is foam safe just to make sure the glue did not get to the core and damage it. Pulled the top sheet down with masking tape and sanded off excess when dry. Did not have and issue after using it for 2 more seasons.

• Baller

This top sheet is not very important performance wise, I would peeled it away. Storing the ski in a closed case/ bag keeps some moist trapped inside, this is what caused the continuation of delamination.

Moisture stays between ski and boots especially if you use foam pads, inside rubber and inside the fin box.

Store your ski in an open case/bag or without a case.

Good luck,

Alex

• Baller

@Deanoski I have done that, it's a good idea, it stops the delamination but the fogyness stays and looks ugly.

So far I have seen it only at the tail around the fin box and if you cut off the lifted part the delamination stops and ski looks great!

• Baller

@wtrskior The fin block gives the tail a vast amount of strength. If this were anywhere else on the ski, it would be bad, but not here. I'd glue it together using JB Weld marine grade (the slow curing strong stuff). Use some wood to form a nice set of jaws for the clamps that will hold the two glued pieces together while the epoxy sets. You don't want the clamps to affect the shape of the tail. Any JB Weld that squeezes out the side can be cleaned off before it sets. And if any more squeezes out, it's easily filed and sanded.

i8xb3dylenv8.jpg

• Baller
@SkiJay it is only a thin film that gives a glossy finish to the top of the ski, not dangerous whatsoever it doesn't act as a sealant either. Removing the affected part stops the delamination and if done right the ski looks like new. I have done this to a couple of skiis about a year ago and skiers still ride them with no issues.

• Baller
thanks everyone. crisis averted! I intend on getting a new vapor next year, but this ski has been the best I've ever had and wanted to keep it for a longggg time. good to know it shouldn't get worse and wont hurt the stick.. will take the fin block off and glue it back down with wood and clamps as @SkiJay said.