mirror mirror on the...gunwale

Keith_Menard

• Baller

Meh...windshield frame didn't rhyme.

Just curious what you guys are using for mirrors. I am thinking of getting one of the panoramics this winter. My only worry is that after using my friends wakeboard boat with it, it messed with my vision some (I get motion sick WAY too easily)...but it could also be the weird seating position in his boat.

• Administrators

@"Keith Menard" I have used the PMT stuff for years. It is not cheap but I think it is the best on the market.

They are also an advertisers so when you support PTM you are supporting BallOfSpray

• Baller
VR-140 here: I shit you not, I have full visibility CLEARLY, at all 6 balls, behind the boat, and everywhere else. I will not have another boat without this mirror. It's that much better. And @"Keith Menard" I was just bustin your b$&@"

• Baller
I actually like the cheap standard cipa mirror that most boats still come with. The ptm and big cipa mirrors I've used obscure too much forward vision and I spend almost no time looking at the mirror when driving a skier/boarder. I use it more in no wake channels to make sure nobody runs me over.

• Baller_
For the skier on a budget, I've used 2 Cipa mirrors side by side for a couple decades. Can see ski lines all the way down to -35 if set right. It's the poor mans PTM, especially if you already have a 7x14 Cipa in your boat. That's a lot of mirror. And the skier does not appear as small as with the PTMs. Your vision may not get messed up as well considering it may be what you're visually used to with the addition of a second Cipa.

• Baller
Use the PTM and like the field of vision and clarity, but since objects in the mirror are closer than they appear, hand signals are harder to see, which I don't. Stretching the topic a bit, mine came mounted right in front of the driver's seat and I can't decide if I should move it left towhee I'm used to the mirror being- opinions on that?

• Baller
I happened upon a used PTM VR-140 for a great price this past summer. I've always said I would never spend $600 for the PTM mirror and bracket, but after having it now I think I would. It's really nice, no doubt. I just wish it could lock half way between fully up and fully down position, but purely for aesthetic reasons I guess.

• Baller
I find it a little humorous this morning....reading the posts about "budget mirrors" & "if you can afford it" when you consider the cost of our skis and boats. These are important pieces of equipment especially if you are without an observer often. Call PTM and tell them "Horton sent me"

• Baller_

@RAWSki humorous? Glad you found some humor. :) But my main intent was to address his vision problems he experienced with PTM. Having 2 of what he may be using now (Cipa) is just an alternative that happens to be houndreds cheaper for a similar panoramic view. Perhaps not as HD. Great number of skiers purchase alternatives and used gear when available every day. It puts money in the pockets of the sellers to buy the new gear. Unfortunately a mirror won't make you a better diver or skier. Been a skier on a budget since I started skiing. I do not think used gear or alternatives have stunted my rankings. Id rather see more skiers find a way to stay in the game then feel priced out.

I'm glad you can afford the very best. It's great that @"Keith Menard" wants to upgrade. And hay. He may even have a Cipa he wants to sell. He gets some cash to off set cost of PTM and someone else gets a less HD panoramic option with double Cipas by buying his. Can only be a positive for both. Isn't capitalism great!!

• Baller
@Wish - totally get it, and regardless of any of our financial situations, it should be hard to justify a $600 boat mirror! We agree completely. Having said that, I'm glad I sucked it up and took the hit, because the mirror is excellent - but yes, it was hard to pull the trigger

• Baller

How much of the PTM $600 is attributed to the "HD" rhetoric though, come on - it's a mirror. There is no resolution.

I recently discovered the old mirror on my 97 SN is identical to the mirrors on one of our work trucks, Mitsubishi Canter.