Daphne, AL

jlittle

• Baller
Is there any skiing going on in the general area at this time of year? Or any time of year for that matter. I'm flying down and spending the Christmas holiday with the in-laws and may need an escape for an afternoon. I'm not really planning on bringing my ski stuff but was wondering if maybe I could watch a boat run up & down the lake with a skier in tow.

• Baller

@jlittle Low in the upper 20's tonight here in South Bama. But will be warming back up a bit, mid-70s for highs next week.

Bring your gear! Either way, drop me a line. We should be able to work out at least a ride. What days are you here? I'm right across the bay from Daphne.

• Baller
I'll be in WA this week, but back Friday night. Temps always yo-yo this time of year, so any day could be 40, and the next 70. If we've had enough rain to bring up the water level, I can pull you on the lake. If not, and most likely, we'll just run over to Magnolia River (Magnolia Springs AL). The water is always warm over there. Never lower than about 60, and I just put the course back together. 10-15 or so miles from Daphne

• Baller_

From what I've seen, there are more dry suits at Okee than on our lake in NY.

Don't believe a word @OB1 says. Orlando in general and the LaPoint Ski Park in particular is very skiable all winter. You may need a heater top but that's all. Come join us!

Lpskier

• Baller

@Zman @aupatking

Guys, the offer for a ski ride is much appreciated but I'm not planning on bringing my gear. I just thought if anybody was skiing, I wouldn't mind taking a boat ride and meeting a few people. The escape part I mentioned. I definitely don't want to inconvenience anyone around this Christmas holiday. I can call it Christmas, right? My brother in-law just moved so I'm thinking we'll be down that way in the future at a better time of year. For skiing that is. I'll take a rain check if that's okay.

Your lows in the 20s is above our highs here in eastern WA for the last week. Teens & low twenty's during the day and single digits at night. It is warming up to around 30 for the next couple days but that's because it's going to snow some more. Next week it's more of the same cold. I'm not complaining. I like the four seasons.

@lpskier

In the past I've done the Orlando/WPB deal in the winter and it's very nice. Not scared at all to ski this time of year down there. It has been 3 months since my last ride so I'd be a little scared about that part.

• Baller_

@OB1 I'm not sure about the LSP temp this week as I am unexpectedly up in NY, and I'll be here another 10 days. The water here was 35 when we skied Tuesday, but that's it for water skiing up here unless we get a nice sunny, low wind day. When I left to come up here the water at LSP was probably in the high 60's, but we were skiing without tops.

I can't argue that the water isn't warmer in WPB, but I do see more dry suits there. The Otown crowd must just have thicker skin. :-)

@jlittle We have two western Washington skiers that are members at LSP, Scott and Mary Thompson from Mint Lake. We also had a nice couple from Spokane checking us out the last couple weeks. We hope they join as members.

Lpskier

• Baller
Scott & Mary, ah yes, two outstanding people and skiers. They have been heavily involved in tournament skiing for a long time. Spokane... hum, that's where I'm from and you got me thinking. The skiing population for this area, in the fashion we all pursue this sport, is not that large. @lpskier

• Baller

@jlittle ski or not, you're welcome to come out. I'm working in Republic WA this week and flying through Spokane. Pack your crap and I'll fly it down for free. At least gets your stuff half way. I found out there's a guy in Republic who makes ropes and handles. Lance Brown, makes Spray Lines. I had him string up a really nice custom handle and mid-loop line for me. It's always funny to be in the middle of nowhere and find a skier.

Does your family down in AL ski?

• Baller
@aupatking Got down here last night. Much warmer here than E WA. The family had nothing planned today and/so they decided they wanted to go check out Weeks Bay P. Very neat place. My girlfriend in-law (?) has lived in this area her whole life and had no idea this place existed. Which seems to be a running theme in all the years I've been skiing. If you're not a skier you just don't know. In a way it's funny. Her & bro in-law also said they wanted to come check out the place next spring. And no, none of my family here skis.

• Baller
I probably didn't miss you by much. We've had a ton of rain in the last 3 weeks. The lake is way up. I went out yesterday to check it out. Most the balls are about a foot below the surface, from spending the summer drought chasing them down. I'm heading there now to raise all the buoys. Come on down