What size Clinchers ?

Ski_Dad

• Baller

I wear a size Large radar gloves.

I have tried 2 times to put on Large Radar Vice gloves and there is no chance. L was the biggest size Vice that both shops I visited had in stock. Do you think XL or XXL for Vice ?

i also see the Masterline Pro Locks- any size recommendation ?

thanks and have a great weekend!

• Baller

I used L Radar Vice in the old black and white style. I had to get them wet to put them on. The key is the length of the strap from wrist to top of the sewing. Those L pairs were 6.25". When they started wearing out, I ordered two pairs of the new black gray style. The strap was 5.75" on both and couldn't get the top strap closed. The shorter strap wouldn't allow me to open my hand up propoerly. I then ordered XL and XXL and to my surprise, the strap was the same on all of them. Could not use them.

Masterline is also under 6", so you need to try to see how the strap length effects you opening your hand.

You should be only able to open about 75-80%. If you can straighten your fingers out it's too long and if you can only get yoir hand open 50% it's too short.

Waiting to see what the new Vice glove strap lengths are. I hope they are longer.

• Baller

@A_B what diameter handle are you using?

I usually wear a medium glove and have fairly big hands. Due to the nature of this glove, sizing up will still work well and fit comfortable. The 2017 Vice glove has been updated and is an amazing fit and function glove.

I have used the Radar vise - Black gloves for last three seasons- I use large and very difficult to get on the first 6 times, but then they are perfect. I pull the dowels out and just use them as regular gloves with the strap. I have not found any gloves that last me more then a 3 weeks during season they shred on the outsides of the strap areas. Also the D-ring for the wrist strap breaks and bends (every pair) . I actually like the grip on the MS pro locks but the glove is thinner and shreds on the outsides of the strap areas pretty fast. I have many friends that use them and get more then a year with one pair. Last year I went through over 25 pairs of gloves.

This off season I have been trying out regular gloves and really like the Miami Nautique yellow gloves. Only regular glove that has not bunched in callous area of palm.

• Baller_
Am a big Vice fan in terms of comfort. About the only ways I have found to significantly reduce ware is to purchase 2 pair and rotate them. Always use a dry pair either the next day or the next set. Also puting them on dry. Like above, I was going through pairs faster then one would think considering the loads are in the strap. I have also ironed on patches when gloves were new in the places I knew they would ware. That worked well but only if I took my time applying them. Without question they are the most comfortable clincher style gloves I have used (15+years). Sizing has jumped around a bit but like above, if you find a pair that's hard to get on the first time and several times after, that's your size. One's that go on easy will stretch out soon and that will eat them up as well.

• Baller

@Beastmode with the new design of the 2017 Vice glove, my gloves are lasting considerably longer. We changed the cut of the top of the glove and changed the material there which functions better than the older glove. The fit is so good, we were able to eliminate the over the top of the hand velcro strap without losing the holding power of the glove. We made countless versions of the glove to improve hand entry and redesigned the wrist strap to be even more functional. I have been using the 2017 vice glove for over a year (testing and perfecting) and I think you will be pleased with the fit/comfort/function/durability of the new update. Below is a link to the information page with pictures.

https://www.radarskis.com/portfolio_page/vice/

@chris Rossi I saw the new vise inside out gloves. I will be trying them soon. Anything done with the tack weld on the Dring? I have broken and bent 30+ pairs of these. last season after they broke I started twisting the wrist strap and Duct taping them because the glove was still good. That worked ok but if I took a huge load hit they pull apart.

• Baller_
@Beastmode your kidding right? 30+ pair? That's over $2000 in gloves. I would move on to something else. I have stuck with Vice gloves despite some miner things...and they are miner, but 30 pair of anything seems to me to be no longer the probuct but the way the product is used. Nothing is without its limits and breaking points.

@wish im not kidding. Im a bigger guy 225 2015 season and 205 to 210 last season and got my avg into 38'. Tried lots of gloves in the past and Radar Vise or Masterline Pro lock are the only thing I could ski aggressive with. I have went through 9 handles the last two years also. Last year april to sept I was buying 3 pairs of gloves every month

• Baller_
there was a run of these that had plastic Drings a few yrs back and yes I broke a few but they have moved to metal Drings now. Radar was very generous is replacing mine as well. Another reason I stuck with them. Have not broken any or bent since. As said, everything has a limit and breaking point...

• Baller

@beastmode cracks me up. Only cuz I was a comp power lifter and power skier who used to destroy ropes and handles for a living. I skied back then at 215 and needed custom clothing with traps connecting to my earlobes.

When skiing Perfect Pass back then I would tell them to put my body weight at 275. The drivers were like you don't weigh 275...and I'd be like do you want to run the time or not...by the way keep two hands on the wheel at 2 and 4.

I'm smaller, lighter (190), older, more efficient and have not broken a rope/handle in years now. This is not to say I don't throw down a 2 and 4 ball here and there and bend open a D ring on clincher style gloves...still happens...I go thru about 3 pairs per season...I've had the straps break as well with some regularity.

I get a crack at 39 on occasion. Just going to say this man...drop some weight, work some efficiency in technique. I know your style is your tried and true but no one is going to solve your 30 plus pair of gloves and 10 handles in a season problem but you.

Would love to see you ski man...brings back memories! Need to make up time on a 240 hp carb boat in a tourney...OK!

• Baller
Hey guys, I'm the OP on this thread - anyhow I was at the pro shop today in Ohio and they had the new Vice gloves in stock! I tried on the Large and i could actually get them on and they fit perfect - very compfortable too compared to my other radar gloves - maybe just a hair larger in size - I think that is how they fit b/c of the inside out stitching. So i bought a pair - gonna use them on Monday at ski school

• Baller

I was bummed when original Clinchers were unavailable. I switched to Masterline clinchers. Worked OK but complex and difficult to put on. Slippery when new so I burned holes in the webbing to increase the grip. Also tried painting the webbing with wetsuit glue to make it stickier. Once they were broken in they were OK.

Haven't tried the Radars but Lisa switched to regular Radar gloves from her Masterline clinchers. Said the new Radar gloves were wonderfully grippy.

I switched to Goode clinchers when I got my Goode vest. The Goode clinchers are the closest to the original Clinchers. But Lisa didn't like them - twisted on her hands.

I use a rubber band to keep the webbing attached to the fingers. This allows a quick release of the handle. @AKShortline uses O-rings. Cheap, easy and effective, thanks Brent for a clever solution.

@Mitzysman enjoy the fewer blisters and enhanced grip. And ski school!

Eric