BallOfSpray Tournaments

Beastmode

@Horton has worked very hard at developing and putting on the BallOfSpray tournament for the past two years. I was interested in getting some feed back from the skiers who have skied in these tournaments and from all the Ballers.

What are the Pros and Cons of these tournaments?

• Baller

Pros - It's a ton of fun! An equal playing field and anyone can walk home with some cash. Getting to meet other skiers/ballers from around the country.

Cons - @BoneHead and @RazorRoss3 drank all the beer. Honestly no real cons I can think of.

I have skied in both the Austin BOS tournaments and really look forward to skiing in this format.

Pros---

Professional format 2 preliminary Rounds then seeded to Head to Head finals or Handicap Round.

Great competition for any level skier. (mid to bottom level 8 tough area to place)

Most skiers friendly and talkative.

Impromptu after party first year and planned second year.

Cons---

More structure to the After parties.

better Announcing during final rounds

Perfect for big dawgs and Pro skiers competing head to head, but there is a huge gap for skiers just running 35' and getting a few at 38' - make head to head but go against skiers getting into 41'. Hard to beat avg in Handicap.

This year in Austin was an Exception, because US Open and Big Dawg Finals were going on the same dates. only one Big Dawg and One Pro were there and made the balance perfect.

Need sponsor booths with merchandise - we love stickers, tee shirts, Hats and Swag!!!

Wish we had Demos like HO did the first tournament.

• Administrators

@Beastmode

Thanks for the comments. BallOfSpray Cash Prize events have been a learning experience. Lucky for me all 4 events so far have gone pretty well. Not always as planned but everyone has a good time.

There will be some pretty big news soon about the 2017 schedule. I am just waiting for the pieces to fall into place.

As for the cons.

More structured party? Yes I agree. The problem is partly an organizational challenge and a cost issue. Getting a bunch of skiers to all do the same thing is never easy and no one wants to spend more money.

Better announcing. That is on me. Guilty as charged.

The mix of skiers is a hard subject. I firmly believe that the average Baller wants to be at an event with some really high level skiers. A two tiered final where the best 16 go to a head to head and the remaining skiers ski in a handicap it the best solution I can come up with. Actually, I am pretty proud of that solution. The skiers at the bottom of the H2H bracket are at a competitive disadvantage but that is just how the chips fall.

Booths and merch? The target for most of these events is only 40 skiers. It is not really practical to have booths and such. The sponsor of the 2017 events may do demos.

T-Shirts and such. To be blunt, I have lost money on every event to date. The new sponsor may or may not make shirts happen. My financial goal on these events is to just break even. Not to make money but not to lose either.

• Baller
The one I have been to up in Sacramento was great! Awesome group of people from all over. You get a mix of OM & OW with everyone else, you never know you might be up against your favorite skier in a head to head; really cool experience! I'm stoked for this year and definitely planning on hitting more than one! kudos to @Horton for all the hard work putting these on, I've seen first hand how much work he puts into it lets just say it's nonstop.

• Baller

The Sacramento tournament was the only one I was able to attend. It was really fun. The Grubbs family had free Dutch Bros Coffee for skiers and officials and the site was outstanding.

Lunch was provided along with free beer and beverages after the tournament. There was an optional dinner which was excellent.

Cons: Horton