Zero Off 2 Puck/1 Puck systems.

oldmanskier

• Baller

I have a 2014 Carbon Pro with a Zero Off 2 Puck system.

Being I am the “paranoid, afraid I will miss a day of skiing due to boat issue type person” I was considering buying an extra Zero Off puck (receiver) for my 2 puck system in case one went bad.

I plan on keeping my boat for the long term.

Now that there exists the Zero Off old two puck system and the new Zero Off one puck system I have some questions?

I am trying to determine if purchasing a spare Zero Off puck for my current 2 puck system is a good decision.

Questions:

If my 2 puck system had a major failure of some kind other than a bad puck, can you still purchase the Zero Off 2 puck system?

Or

Are the One Puck systems the only ones available now if you have to install a completely new system?

Can the current 2 puck systems operate on only one puck if one went bad?

Thanks for any feedback that is given for this topic.

oldmanskier

• Baller

I believe the only new system you can buy is the single ECI puck system. If you want the latest gear you can upgrade by purchasing the new ECI puck and getting someone with a laptop and aqua star ecom cable to reflash your head unit.

Yes, if one of your Garmin pucks fail the system will function on one. Also, somewhere within the head unit you can check the function of the pucks if you want. If one is out it will tell you. I can't remember how to navigate to this setting.

I am not sure you can still buy the Garmin pucks if one failed. Some people have them laying around but I don't think ZO has any in stock. Someone here will know.

• Baller

Thanks for all the information.

I purchased a two system puck a Promo guy had as a spare for his 2015 boat for $165.

He assured me the Puck worked in that he used it until he got his one puck system.

Seemed like a good price considering the new ones are$450.

If the two puck system can run on one good puck I hope one spare will be enough for me until I have to upgrade to a one puck system at some point in the future.

I am just trying to have the parts to prolong this as long as possible.

Question for you Zero Off experts:

I now have a spare puck for my Zero Off 2 puck system.

I have found another one.

If the two puck system can run on one good puck,

Would it still be a good idea to purchase another one and have two spare pucks for my Zero two puck system?

or

Is that overkill for having spare Zero Off parts?

Thanks for al the Info.

oldmanskier

• Baller

I like the idea of having spare parts and be prepared, but you would have to ask yourself the question - how common is a puck failure.

My 2 puck system is running fine since 2010 (550 hours of use). Never had a problem with ZO or it's Garmin pucks.

So in my opinion - overkill.

• Baller
an additional spare puck (two spares), assuming low cost, is a good measure of redundancy if your boat is the only ZO vessel available. It also presumes the shelf-life is indefinite. We've had two (actually 3?) puck failures on the '09 since inception, suspect at least one of those was due to near lightning strikes; it almost makes more sense to keep one good one as a spare instead of having two good ones installed.

• Baller

@oldmanskier, I cannot comment on the pros/cons of one vs. two puck systems. (only familiar with the 2-puck systems - 2008 LXi and 2013 MC 197). However, I did replace the pucks on the 2008 LXi and copy below a previous post on my exprience F

Replaced the two pucks on my '08LXi this summer. Called ZO tech support. He told me the price of new pucks AND without my prompt said I should be able to find them for less money elsewhere. Gave me the part # Garmin GPS18x-5Hz. At that time, the cheapest I found was at www.gpscity.com...$139.95. Installed them and ZO system worked fine immediately.

Replaced both of mine this summer. The cheapest I found was here

Garmin OEM GPS 18x High-Sensitivity 5Hz Sensor with Bare Wire Connection

$139.95

Model: 010-00321-37 SKU: OEM18X5HZ