Carbon V vs HO Superlite CX

blinddog

I'm trying to decide on a new ski, I use the regular V now and want to upgrade. I run 15 off 32 mph and would love to run 34/15 and maybe get into 22 this season. I realize the V I have is a much better ski than I am a skier, but I have the hots for a new ski and I'm going to get one! I was all set to get a new Carbon V then started looking at these crossover skis from HO. They are designed for less drag which means less fatigue which is why I started using the V in the first place. I'm 59, 175 lbs. I also looked at the TX which is a wide ride, but I called HO and they said the CX was .3" wider than their regular skis and the TX is .5" wider, so I'm guessing I'd rather compare the Carbon V to the CX. Any insight on which ski might work better? Unfortunately the only way for me to try either one is to buy it..

• Baller

Hi Jim, got your PM, but figured I would respond publicly. TX is approx 7.14" across the front inserts. CX is 0.20" less at 6.94". As a reference, the Syndicate VTX is approx 6.81" across the front inserts. Not sure how that compares in width to your Connelly, but width across the inserts only a small part of the equation. Based on what you have stated, a case could be made for either the CX or the TX. However, at your speed and weight, the 67 CX will be better as you progress into shorter lengths at 34mph. Hope this helps in your decision process!

Also...Have you heard about our demo program?

Details here: www.hosports.com/demo

You can try a Superlight CX/TX or a Syndicate VTR/VTX for 2-3 weeks and if you like it, you can keep it. If not, you can send it back and get your entire deposit back less a $50 shipping charge.

Sam Avaiusini - HO Sports Company - Director of Inside Sales and Business Operations

• Baller
I used to ski on a standard V (and should still be on it, but that's another story). I did some research a while back into what you are asking about. IIRC, the V is wider than the CX and close in width to the TX and therefore more directly comparable to the TX. Although I never got on one, my research showed that it appeared that the CX Superlite would feel more nimble due to both the narrower width and also the "superlite" core. However, also due to these factors it is probably not going to be as forgiving as the standard V or maybe even the Carbon V. Would be fun to ride them back-to-back to get a real sense of the differences. Hopefully someone who has done that will chime in.

• Baller
@blinddog, I was in a very similar position last spring (60 years old, 185#, skiing 15 off @ 32 mph, etc) and tried several skis (thank you Performance Ski & Surf!). I loved the 67" HO Superlite CX from the first turn and ended up buying one in April. I stayed at 32 mph last year for a lot of reasons (age/injury history/not skiing tournaments/etc) so I don't know how this ski performs at 34 mph. However, by the end of the year I was regularly running into 28 off with a couple of buoys at 32 off for a new practice PB. I find the ski to be very forgiving and it has a lot more potential than I will ever use. I don't think you can go wrong with the CX!

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a new 2016 Carbon V. It was the safer bet since I'm already use to the regular V and have never skied on any of the HO skis. I have a local HO dealer that might have the CX and TX in stock this summer and I can demo them, but for now, I'm locked in and ready for some warm weather!