Do you use ZO Plus

Horton

• Baller
I'm 215-220 lbs so Plus is supposed to be for me. When I tried it the faster gate speed was interesting, not as bad as I thought, but I would carry more speed into 1 than 34mph seemed to support. That was workable, not sure better or worse. The kicker for me was it came on too quick as I got into it after the ball. Normally ski C1 or B1 depending on boat. Never seemed to have time to get settled and handle down and in with Plus.

• Baller
I take my boat and drive at around 8 tournaments per year and I am the only one who has ever used plus at any tournament that I have been at (that I am aware of). I liked it better until last year, but with the implementation of the single puck systems last year I stopped using it.

• Baller

Used it but would much prefer the feel of the trick mode slalom values.

Pretty sure the current “+” setting is basically the original release version of ZO (pre rev P101?) with the exception of the 1.6% above baseline higher pre-gate speed (vs 0.8%).

IMO the “+” version would be more swing friendly (like trick mode slalom) if the Kd gains were similar to current “+” but with clipping values similar to the non “+” settings.

As “+” is now the clipping values allow too much speed deviation which lessens the RPM range in response to load. It would feel better with higher RPM deviations and tighter speed tolerances (clipping values). Also the higher gate speed makes no sense; why come in at 34.8(vs 34.5)/36.6(vs 36.3) and have the boat not respond as much to efficient load for the gate shot? I’d prefer a response more similar to a good 2B to 3B.

It sounds like from other’s info that the original ideas behind a “+” setting would have potentially been better at creating more of a swing mode slalom (Higher Kd's with lower clipping values?) but the engine revs in response led to some uneasiness; who knows? It also seems that perhaps some of the original engineering minds involved with ZO may no longer be in the picture.

Perhaps something positive (no "+" pun intended) will shake out eventually.

• Baller
I was in the size range plus was designed for but I don't get to train behind ZO enough to see if it would be better for me. I generally only ski behind ZO in tournaments so I always use the same setting.

• Baller_

I know probably 20-30 tournament skiers that do not post here and none of them use the plus. As a tournament driver, I can't recall ever selecting it for anyone at a tournament.

I tried it when it was first released and initially thought it might be something, but I returned to my old setting. I never used it in a tournament.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
I am normally in the 250-260 range the last few years and found A1+ worked out a lot of timing issues for me. Was C1. Last year in the new 5.3 I skied like crud on A1+ and went to B1+ and that made a big improvement. I am RFF and don't mind the gate as that is probably the best controlled angle and position I will have in any pass.

• Members
I use it, def a minority. For me, I like how it takes away the feeling of getting yanked through the entrance gates, after the gate I don't feel any difference. Have used it on several different boat/engine combos without much adjustment other than the Centurion I tried it on, that thing kicked the crap out of me.....it was Very aggressive!

• Baller

Absolutely LOVE the Plus. Have used it ever since it first came out. Never realized how much I depended on it until my Driver left it off one day and it felt like the boat had NO power, and it's a 200 with a 409. Also, I am 6'4" @220 lbs...B-1+

All the "Light" Guys I ski with tried it when it first came out but never use it now.

• Members
@Horton I don't think anybody could answer that question since we don't know what the final product would be. Trick mode sounds interesting (haven't tried it yet), why couldn't they just add it instead of replacing PLUS? I think most would agree we could use a few more ZO settings......kidding.

• Administrators
@acmx I think the problem is that they would have to redesign the interface. Simply replacing plus mode with the new map doesn't require anny additional redesign.

• Baller
I've used it since it was introduced. I also use it for tricks. While I haven't been skiing up to par the last couple year while I struggle with some health issues, the plus setting makes ZO almost palatable. I'm 6'6", 240lb and ZO can be tough on big guys.