Monthly Coaching Anywhere in the World?

303Skier

Wanted to make a poll (couldn't figure it out?) but was curious if people would be interested in monthly coaching via video, phone and phone-app if it was available from pros?

I think it's a cool concept and besides Andy, no one else to my knowledge has offered it.

What do you think would be a reasonable price per month?

• Baller_
I believe CP offers just that or was and guessing a few others probably do the same. I would also guess it would be a per set or per video considering half the country has some weird fozen white stuff impeding year round skiing.

• Baller_
You'd have to have someone with a deep knowledge of all of those things or a team of people. I'm probably not gonna take nutrition advice from some not certified in it. If I went the rout of looking for just nutrition advice, the internet is plum full of good advice. Same with the gym; certified personal trainer or I go hunt down what works for me off credible web sites. Direct video coaching from a pro skier is something I cannot get searching the web. That I would pay for. But not monthly. To many life and weather variables keeps people off the water so the money going to that service would be waisted that month. Per set or per video makes more sense to me. When the time is right for me, I'll click pay and forward the video.

@Wish - Fair enough and I respect your opinion and views on it. I understand it wouldn't be for everyone and not a good fit. I also understand that taking advice from someone who isn't a trained professional might be a deal breaker as well. But what if it wasn't just the pro skier but a team of people (like you mentioned) who were all trained in their perspective field. One for your skiing (the pro skier), one for you nutrition (nutritionist) and one for you training (personal trainer) all working together to get you to that next level. I know you personally have back problems...Maybe getting a diet to reduce inflammation, toxins in the body and a PT to increase overall strength and core strength/conditioning would really take you or someone else to the next level of their skiing (not saying you don't have a good diet of exercise routine/strength)? Then would you consider it? I know I would be interested if something like this was available.

• Baller

@303Skier

Because watching Seth's videos of coaching regulars Joes like me gave me the feeling that he understand and will give just the right advices to make you a better skier without getting things too complicated ...

Try to watch the video where he coaches with an Ipad and you ll see what i mean.

Edit:link to the video.

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller_
@303Skier A team approach...yes that would make much more sense to me. Actually been sorta doing that. Got with a certified nutritionist, I have a good PT and a friend who is a personal trainer. I send my videos to the Denali team (free service on their forum with purchase of a Denali ski). So the team approach for a monthly fee idea seems like a good one.

• Baller

I would be open to the idea of some sort of regular subscription coaching especially if that meant a better bang for my buck. My hesitation with virtual coaching is the lag in feedback. I don't always ski on a dedicated regular basis so applying the coaching can be a challenge if I have a 2 week break.

I don't think a flat subscription would work for unlimited coaching as some folks might take advantage of their coach by using up a significant amount of time because they are "unlimited". What I think would be more beneficial is a staged approach where the more coaching you get, the cheaper it gets. IE I pay $50/set for the first 2 sets. $48/for 3-5, and $45 for 6+.

I think the challenge (for both the skier and coach) is what is a fair way to do it. Obviously this is a business for the coach so they need to be compensated fairly.

• Baller
As a former Minnesotan, the off season training that will make you better is functional movements (squats, deadlifts, and so on) and then core, core, more core, keep doing core, if you think you're done with core you're wrong, do more core. As for the virtual coaching I think it can be useful, obviously can't do anything for you in the current set but if you can use it to identify things to work on for the next set then there is value. I try to take video for self review every couple of sets already to try to stay out of bad habits.