34mph ski or 36mph ski

h2onhk

• Baller
My brother is looking to upgrade his old Connelly concept to something a little newer. He's a 160lb 34mph skier that can occasionally run a 28 and has gotten a few at 32. Our course is on public water and conditions are not always ideal. Since he only skis 34mph would he be better off getting a ski that was designed for 34mph vs. a 36mph ski? Example Lithium Senate vs. Lithium Vapor? Or is it not really that big of deal. Any input from you guys that have been on hundreds of different skis would be greatly appreciated. We have a very small crew and we don't upgrade skis very often.

• Baller
I'd still consider the smaller Senate considering the parameters given. All of the Senates have been fantastic skis. The one ski I wish I'd never gotten rid of was my 2010 Senate. I could slow down to 32mph and just work on form. Did that for 2 months. When I sped back up to 34, I'd picked up a full pass.

• Baller
I don't think skis really follow 36/34 dividing lines anymore. My Dad and I have skied on literally the same ski same settings and been able to put up scores on par with our previous bests despite the 36/34 speed differential. At the top end some fin adjustments have been necessary but only slightly. I think what you are considering is more a question of are you looking for an aggressive ski or a more casual ski. I would say the decision more comes down to his goals. If he is looking to continue pushing through -28 and into 32 then the more aggressive ski may be the right answer. I grew up skiing a course on public water, the conditions can certainly fight you with boat traffic and the wind having long runways to build up chop but that just builds character right?

• Baller
I have a Senate as my "guest ski" at home. I haven't taken a set on it, but literally every person I've had try it looks great on that ski. And that's people from 160lbs to 215lbs, one of whom was 6'6" tall. Seems to just be an awfully friendly design that still lets people ski their best. I should probably ride it sometime just for grins.