You have to Ski The Great - Newberry Springs California

wtrskior

• Baller

You have to. 

fjfp64w7h4ap.jpg

Last year there were some posts about skiing in California and then an image of all the man made lakes in both the Bakersfield and Newberry Springs area. None were offering (publicly at least) for hire ski rides or accommodations.

That didn't seem to make sense to me and many others as well who fight ice and minimal options for good ski sites. Southern California is hot nearly year round, almost always sunny, close to major airports, amenities, and a number of very cool toruist attractions. What gives?

Fast forward a few months and @SkiGreatLakes is advertising​ on this site offering just this thing. Sign me up!

What more do you want from a ski vacation?

- weather: it's the Mojave desert.. what else do you need to say? calm, hot and sunny every day we were in California.  No humidity.  Ski all year round.  Perfect.  You guys have seen @horton pics.  Does it ever get windy?  Barely by east coast standards that's for sure.

tafpu7yi6qe3.jpg

- Great lakes has 2 tournament quality lakes.   Beautiful Blue water and we'll treed surroundings, you don't know you're in the desert u til you leave. Main lake is a very nice ~2400' long. Easy setups. Again perfect

yn8toh5uif0q.jpg

- 2014 Nautique 200 dialed in. 

2o5646v750xv.jpg

- Hospitality: Dean rolled out the red carpet for us.  Stunning lakeside bungalow 2 beds 2 baths.  AC.  Hot tub, outdoor kitchen/BBQ. Gas Firepit. Outdoor HD TV. He has packages that can fit your trip and are very inexpensive IMO compared to some other ski vacations.

0mkva00xw0iy.jpg

It's 2hrs from either LA or Vegas, and an easy 4-5hr direct flight from the east coast.  

Can't say enough about the place and Dean's hospitality. Only wish I could have stayed longer. I will be back. Watch out swampy Florida!!! Who's with me?