Skis damaged from Firebird Lake (saltwater)

SundevilSki

• Baller

Just thought i'd share. This is an old, beat up pair of team jumpers that had known water intrusion issues and a side rail that popped off after every set. When they finally bit the dust, I pulled them apart to see what the nasty salt/alkaline water at our lake did to the core

and yes they were washed after every set

• Baller

If those are the skis I repaired years ago and wrote "do not jump with these skis" as the warning associated with my repairs, they held up really well. If the skis I repaired are still around, definitely do not jump with them!

Honeycomb cores have limits. Salt water is harsh. Rinsing is overrated.

Eric

• Baller

Nice! The term you're looking for is galvanic corrosion. It's the interaction of the carbon, aluminum, and salt water that's making the magic happen. In this case the carbon skins are the cathode and the aluminum honeycomb core is acting as the rapidly corroding anode. Basically you turned your skis into batteries.

It's the same reason aluminum fins and fin blocks get all chalky where they contact the carbon skins of a slalom ski. The process still happens in fresh water, just at a much slower rate that no one really cares. Salt water is a way better electrolyte.

• Baller
@keithh2oskier I was the only one crazy enough to jump on them. I liked those skis but it got to a point where I was gluing the rail back on after every set. Once the carbon fiber on the bottom started to peel, i figured it was time for retirement