Raptor Is The Real Deal

ripa38

• Baller
I had the opportunity to try a Raptor yesterday, and was I was very impressed. I ski with Horton when our schedules sync up, so I get to try a lot of skis after he has completed his reviews. I guess I beat him to this one. I do not possess Horton's talent for riding a different ski every week, and usually require a few rides to adjust. I jumped on the Raptor yesterday and ran straight up the line through 35 without a bobble. Did not try it at 38. This is a high end ski that is super stable without sacrificing performance. I was very impressed and will give it another go mid-week. I am not sure how skiers can get an opportunity to try one, but it is absolutely worth trying.

• Elite Skier

@MattP It's a great ski. I find that it's a really good balance between speed and stability. It's a fast ski and has really nice carry out out off of the second, so I feel like I can have strong/short cuts with a lot of time to pre-turn or glide out to the ball and still end up with good width in the the course. What is really nice though is that even though the ski feels fast, it's still really confidence inspiring into and throughout the turns. I feel like even if I'm a little late and fast I can still be confident that I can turn hard and the ski is going to hold. It has a large platform to stand on and turns and accelerates well even if I'm a little off balance. The front of the ski is very forgiving, so I feel like I can get way up over the top of the ski into the turns.

There are two sizes available. A 65.75" and a 67.5". I ride the smaller ski at just under 170lbs.

If you or anyone has any questions or would like to try the ski let me know.

• Baller

Finally got back to the Raptor project with Horton yesterday. Willi from Raptor Skis came to BallOfSpray headquarters with a couple of skis, and we got down to business in 110 deg heat and 90 deg water (hands are toast). Both Horton and I liked certain characteristics of the ski from our trials a few weeks ago, but were not running 35 smooth, so we started tweaking away alternating skis and sets with Willi observing from the boat and coaching us up. By the fourth set of the day we were alternating on the same ski with fin numbers we both liked and could both run "flowy" (Horton term) 35 off passes. Even though worn out from testing, tried some 38's and ski still felt good. 32's are ridiculous early and easy.

The Raptor is a legitimate high end slalom ski. Adjusting the fin was critical and took some effort, but I don't think that is unusual for any high end ski. Horton and I have similar buoy counts, but different techniques, different foot forward, and different height and weight. I think the fact that we found numbers we both liked and skied well with speaks volumes.

I drove for Horton each time so Willi could watch, but hope to watch later this week and compare to what I saw a few weeks ago. Hopefully Willi can get some skis out for demos because I think skiers are going to be surprised.