The Good Old Boy's

Stevie Boy

• Baller

The Good Old Boy's I applaud them, they are the true survivors of a sport that can be brutal on the body, there is a lot of good skiers out there, who are 60years + so who are they ?

Ed Hickey, still runs 39 off @ 34mph every time he skis, which is most days of the week.

• Baller
My next door neighbor, Bruce Kunde, still kicking ass at 80 years old. Slaloms into 32off, still jumps nearly 100 feet, and tricks well over 1000 points. And has still has the ability to ski multiple days in a row...We were up to 5 days in a row till the wind kept us away last night.

• Baller

George Levien is one of my favorite 60 year old plus skiers:

If you ever go to Chet's and George is there try to watch George ski from the boat.

I usually go to Chet's in June every year and one of the highlights of my trip is getting to be around George, listen to his stories and watch him ski.

I have seen him run multiple 38's from the boat and his skiing commentary at each end of the lake can be quite entertaining. George also gives so much back to the sport as a tournament safety director as well as working other tournament tasks. Thanks George for all you do for the sport of waterskiing.

Oldmanskier

• Baller
I don't hear too much talk about Steve Raphael. Not too sure why? I haven't seen him ski, but looking at his scores, he seems like a fantastic skier not only for his age ( which must be pushing 70?) or for any age for that matter.

• Baller

I have watched Steve (Mongo) ski at Chet's in the past. For a big guy he skies light on his feet. But if he gets behind in the course he can hang on to some tough stuff. I have never seen a pylon move as much as when Steve pulls on it. Steve also is entertaining at each end of the lake on comments about his skiing. Chet also gave Steve (Mongo) a wrestling lesson one time. Mongo tells the story well.

As for Chet (not 60 yet but getting close) I think he is an alien from a Water Ski planet. He is in one of the most focused skiers mentally and physically I have ever watched ski.

If you go to Chet's place be sure to ride in the boat and watch him ski. I am headed to Chet's June 20 and really looking forward to a great week of skiing and watching skiing.

oldmanskier.

• Baller

89hely1knzog.jpg

Buddy, about to hop in, 80 years old, still skis into 32 and my favourite coach in the boat, not the most patient coach but he gets results and notices things and implements change that others don't see. A little cold in our Aussie winter for him but always there to drive and coach.

• Baller
Less than a month away from his 81st birthday, Bruce Kunde jumped 101ft over the weekend at the IL State Tournament. And that's with a bum shoulder from a terrible slalom crash at 32off the week before.

• Baller

@Sethro - I had a brief conversation with Orange Bruce here in Minnesota today, the day before Midwest Regionals, and it just made me smile. The guy can ski well - has a great sense of humor - and serves as an inspiration to those of us younger to keep pushing on.

Hell of a jumper. When he skis, most watch and more cheer.

Bongo