Removing moss from boat carpet

Chef23

• Baller
My neighbors were kind enough to put the winter cover on my boat while I was in the hospital in the fall but it wasn't as water proof as I generally get it and that combined with the fact that I am two months later taking the cover off has resulted in moss growing on the carpet. If anyone has any experience getting moss off of carpet I would appreciate it. Preferably something I can buy locally as I would like to start getting it ready to go in the water tomorrow.

• Baller
I would try a good rinse with a hose, followed.by a little mild detergent and a scoop of oxi clean in 2 gallons of warm water, applied gently with a semi soft scrub brush. Then rinse and let dry.

• Baller

To remove any kind of organic contamination I use 3% Hydrogen Peroxide (getting it in nearest pharmacy) and rinse after. Simple and efficient and controlled visually: when white foam stops appearing - cleaning completed.

Also kills smelly bacteria in boot liners forgotten in the car.

• Baller
There's more than one way to skin a cat, but high pressure vapor steam can work miracles. Many auto detailing outfits and carwashes have commercial vapor steam units that would make short work out of moss stains. There are several mobil guys on craigslist in my area that have mobil vapor steam units.

• Baller_
I've washed my carpet with Tide (a very small amount) and bleach. I use a scrub brush, rinse several times into the bilge/open drain plug and then use the stair attachment on our household carpet cleaner to extract the water from the carpet. Seemed to work OK to me and the carpet looks good.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller_
Ok, now that that is solved, hijack of thread. Rubber trim between carpeted lower portion of clam shell engine box and upper vinyl portion has come off. What's the best glue? Sorta carpet related ;-) I tried a general adhesive. Fell off again.