Bare footing question

MNshortliner

• Baller
I don't bare foot a lot but just did my first deep water start this last weekend. Was wondering what speed you guys use. I know the (your weight/10)+20=mph equation but have heard some going a little faster. Also what length is best, full 75' or is shorter a bit better? Ski behind a '96 prostar 190 and I think it tops out WOT at bout 43.

• Baller

Length of rope will depend on the boat, but usually longer than 75'.

Barefoot Central did a really in-depth barefoot boat review many years ago and even provided optimal line lengths for each boat. I can't find it now so I don't recall if a Prostar was one of the boats reviewed, but perhaps someone else can dig it up and pass the link along.

Buddy of mine has a very early 90's Prostar and I believe he's using a 90' barefoot line.

• Baller

Good for you. This is an amazing feeling and super addicting.

I had the same hull boat but had the LT1 engine. For long line deep water starts use a 100' line.

Make sure your driver starts out slow and gradual on the throttle like a slalom skier "up". Sometimes people think they have to hammet it and your end jumping off off the starting roller on your butt. Also, don't have the driver go full speed until you put your feet down. It makes it harder to get outside the wake.

• Baller_
@MNshortliner : As noted, smooth throttle up is important to not get the prop bump that will bounce you over it if the driver hits the throttle hard at first. I personally like to foot a bit quicker that formula, more speed for 1 foots, slow it down a bit for tumbles. An attentive driver is helpful to make the most from your run.

• Baller

I do have a 100' jump rope I got for cheap. I will have to try that. We knew a little about starting out with the slow start then pull at like 25 until I was sitting outside the wake then he hit it and I unwrapped my feet from the rope and put them down. I only went for about 30 seconds twice until my feet where killing me. I have to do it more and it is super fun/addicting. Love the tips. Hope to give it another try, only thing is if the course is calm it takes priority and then I don't have much energy left to barefoot.

Epnault - we also have the LT1 but no powerslot, what was your top speed of your boat?

• Baller

@epnault how do you slide yourself out of the wake? I've tried and never been able to but the driver was getting up to full speed right away. I have never made a deep water, I always drop a ski.

@MNshortliner I always use a 100' rope for barefooting. I like how it feels more than being closer to the boat. If your going to get one, get a good spectra line, don't cheap out like I did and end up with a rope that has a lot of stretch. Masterline makes good ones! As for speed, I do 39mph and weight 183. But I know people that like to do 44mph and weight about the same. Personally my feet get burned out quicker when I'm at faster speeds.

• Baller
You have to sit up straight. Legs and upper body at 90 degrees. Then pick a side to lean towards and use your hand on that side by dragging it in the water. Keep the boat speed at around 30 as you are trying to get into the trough. Common mistakes are laying too flat and having the boat speed too high. I will try to get some video over the weekend