Ok I got a GoPro now what the heck do I do with it?

Horton

• Baller

1st not helpful comment - you're supposed to add some 'cool' background music! Hopefully your new Prostar has some kick a$$ tower speakers, then you won't have to add the music post production :smiley:

In a more helpful thought - I do like how it shows very clearly when you are on edge, or not, and could allow you to tweak your approach if you wanted to be more consistent in a specific spot.

Might be interesting to get a chest mount or head mouth to similarly show where your body is pointed coming into and out of the ball.

• Administrators

@Kwoody51

Okay I guess a better title for this thread was how do you use your GoPro? I mean seriously, I got this toy and I know I can get some cool shots with it but I'm still kind of getting my head around how to use it best. I have about $10,000 worth of semi-pro Nikon equipment and I understand photography but trying to figure out how to get this little tiny cute cube with no viewfinder to make interesting images is a whole different ball of Wax.

• Baller

Got ya! While I don't have a go pro my understanding is that the new ones can link to your phone so you can use your phone like a viewfinder as well as playback video and adjust. Not sure if this link from phone to GoPro would work from boat to skier. I also could be remembering this ALL wrong!

Of all the folks I've encountered with them (mostly during MX riding). They aim them from their helmet, confirm the resolution they are in before starting and then just hit the button to start recording. The fish eye lens really allows a wide margin of error on what's in the field of vision. The 'cool' stuff seems to be added in during editing.

Likely not much more helpful but trying to help :)

• Baller_

The guru on GoPro for water ski is Slade Cole, a TC in Savanah. Unfortunately, I don't believe he posts on any of the water ski sites.

He showed me today how you can simultaneously stream from the camera to your iPad or IPhone at a low resolution, or down load at a higher to much higher resolution via wifi connection between the too.

Coach's Eye and Unersense were recommended viewing apps for your phone or tablet. He recommends 30-60 FBS at 1080. Anything more will eat a lot of space.

You can read your GoPro screen on your phone or tablet.

He mounts his GoPro to a contraption that could best be described as what R2D2 would look like if it was used as a pylon mount for a camera. The panning is absolutely flawless, although the SkiDoc mount with an extended mounting post and a high quality security type digital camera with a wifi connection from the boat to the tower worked exceptionally well at the Big Dawg this weekend. The picture quality was spectacular and the SkiDoc was smoother than any other non-R2D2 unit I've ever seen, including other SkiDocs.

I hope this is modestly helpful.

Lpskier

• Baller

Mount that bad boy on your ski! In front of the bindings, behind the bindings, pointing forward/backward, etc. (do not mount on the bottom of the ski...)

Chest mount offers lots of options - I got a pretty cool video of a pass with the chest mount facing backwards.

• Baller
Ski mount is the WORST ... as others stated a chesty is a good option , if you don't have one already you may want to put a GOPRO Floaty on it ... but it sounds like you have the session which I am not sure they make one for it. Drone is the next step you will want to make but if that is the case you could of just bought a drone with a camera already. I have a lot of fun with ours making season long videos of our ski sessions. Windows movie maker is the easiest to use editing software in my opinion and is a free plug in. Good luck.

• Baller

I find the GoPro creative but challenging to use.

1. From a POV mount, I think the head strap is the way to go. It feels awkward, and you're not going to set a PB with it on, but it by far gives the best POV perspective. The "chesty" POV is obstructed by your arms/handle and not very interesting.

2. I think it's good to put on the end of a long extension (e.g. paddle, pvc pipe), take off your bimini, stand behind the pylon with the extension up and get overhead shots with the GoPro pointing at a downward angle.

3. You could also put the extension on the gunnel in a stationary position and catch the skier coming off the second wake and rounding the buoy.

Using it this way sort of makes it a poor man's drone.

4. You could also jump in the water and get some traditional action shots of the skier.

5. If you want the best pictures possible, finding a way to mount it to your handle bridle for selfie stills is the way to go.

I think the POV from a ski mount is boring and has been done a 1,000x already.

• Baller
Yes, just the sticky mounts but I've had issues with the camera coming right out of the clip when on the front of my ski. Clip stays on the ski well but camera comes out of clip so make sure you tie it off the your binding or you can buy adhesive things to tie off to. You also need to make sure that that actual mount that the camera is attached to is good and tight cause I've had issues coming through the wake and having it go from pointing up at me to pointing down at my toes...and I'm not into that kind of thing...