2018 Ski Year Rankings Are Active

JeffSurdej

• Baller
The new ski year has begun, just wanted to let everyone know that the 2018 NOPS and 2018 ranking levels are installed and showing live on rankings. Any issues with skiers in wrong divisions has been fixed and everyone should be ranked in their new 2018 Ski year division. Interesting to see who has moved up!

• Baller
Running a touch behind on the cutoff averages, those on the bottom now are not set, they are still rolling, turns out thursday after Nats was a touch too soon to do this, we have to get 2018 sanctioning ready, sanctions all regionals and nationals, and set up a number of items to get qualifications ready, Sept 1st would have been more ideal but all should be ready soon.

• Baller
If you know someone who is currently ranked L7 and this weekend achieves the L8 cutoff as it is today (the projected COD) let me know, we will qualify that person. Doing all we can to get the COD going, its a lot to get done 4 days post nationals from a programming standpoint, one of those things where it could be ready tonight or could be monday, 3 different programmers play a role and then once they work together to complete it then I need nationals and all regionals LOC's to sanction their events so we can input cutoff dates and cutoff levels.

• Baller
@JeffSurdej I understand rule 4.02(c.2) but for an example of confusion, I have a score of 86.5 (2.5 @ 35 off at 32 mph. I'm moving up to M8. That score (behind the scenes) gets deducted by 6 and goes into my average as 80.5. Now in a couple of weeks I'm gonna ski in a class C tournament and I'm gonna ski over division max, 32mph. If I run that same score it will count as 86.5 going against my average. The carry over score from M7 is worth less than the same score done in the new division by skiing over division max. Kinda strange ain't it?

• Baller_

@JeffSurdej,

Are the COA set now and accurate on the bottom of the rankings pages? There was a lot of discussion yesterday at a tournament and I know one M4 skier whose ranking average was exactly 93 (the exact L8 cutoff value currently on the M4 rankings page). He also achieved that same score in yesterday's tournament in all 3 rounds, thus also meeting the goal of hitting the COA after the cutoff date and before Nationals. If the COA for M4 does not increase, he is now qualified for Nationals, correct? We believed yesterday that he had qualified. I wouldn't want to have to backtrack on that.

Also, I think the FAQ page that explains the rankings calculations and cutoff specifics may need some updating. It still refers to the Thursday that is 3 weeks prior to Nationals as the cutoff date.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

@LeonL Let me look into that Leon, This is the first cycle of ZBS as we shift in rankings years so looks like its not handling that correctly. I would assume this was the case even this past year, surprised no one caught that.

@MISkier those scores at the bottom are not set, although there is a good chance they will not chance as soon as we get this COD finalized. Let me know said skiers name and I will make sure he is qualified should the COA shift here in a few days

Good catch on the FAQ, we will update those as well.

• Baller
@JeffSurdej We should at the Cut-off values to the ranking list page somehow. Whether it's on the bottom in the percentile chart or some kind of 'line' or other indicator on the table itself. Either way, nobody is going to know what the cut-off score is unless it's clearly displayed somewhere.

• Baller

@Zman there were many people who were unhappy about having the cut-off date only 3 weeks from Nationals. They argued that for planning purposes, it would be better to know you're qualified (for sure) long before that date. So there was a request to move the date to something like 12 months before or Jan 1 or something like that.

The old rating system (EP system) set the benchmark - EP Rating - immediately before the Nationals. Essentially then, as long as you skied better than the (new) EP rating you were qualified for the following year.

The date that was picked was the Thursday AFTER the Nationals. This typically only effects a handful of skiers who are "on the bubble" and not the majority of skiers who are Level 8 or above. You only need to post a single score (Class C or above) greater or equal to the established cut-off score to qualify. This applies to Slalom, Trick, Jump and Overall.

Likewise, the Regional placement qualifications are still the same and will have to take place in the 2-3 weeks prior to the Nationals because that's when Regionals are held.

Either way this should give folks some peace of mind as to whether they are qualified or now.

• Baller
@Razorskier1 @Zman The cutoff date for 2018 nationals was moved from 4 weeks before nationals to the week after the previous Nationals if an effort to give skier ample travel time and to establish an EP like system where skiers know what they need to qualify, this all the talk about cutoff dates on this post.