New Ski for the Wife

DonT

• Baller

Hey All -

After a week of skiing at Lake Powell, my wife want's a new ski.

First off is that she's an improving open water skier - not sure if she'll ever run the course, but you never know. She has expressed interest in obtaining some coaching to improve.

She has been skiing a 2014 Radar Theory - and enjoying it. As an experiment, she jumped on my too long for her 69 2017 Senate Graphite - and loved it even though it was too long.

The question is (since it's going to be hard to demo a ski before our local shop has their end of season clearance), do we go with the Senate Graphite in the appropriate size - or - a Radar Lyric....I'd appreciate the thoughts on the different flex characteristics between the two. My understanding is that the Lyric is "Senate Alloy-like" with a women's flex pattern.

• Baller
I'm sure she will love the Lyric. The past year or so that seems to be what 95% of women are getting; atleast those on or associated to BOS. I run a senate so i am bias to Radar but there are tons of testimonials on here from female skiers and husbands of such that love their lyric.#Radar

• Baller

@Shell has made crazy awesome progress this year, thanks to her determination and her new Radar Lyric. (Also a lot of support and encouragement from many Michigan Ballers this season, @Triplett @MISkier @Rook etc) 4 complete passes in a row after the eclipse yesterday! @DaveD counting on you to coach her thru her first full tournament pass this weekend at Tivoli!

r1xi2nmmc542.png

z67e7e4q1tzt.png

• Baller
Without going into the long list of skis my wife has tried, we share a Vapor Lithium. It's the easiest for her to get up on, and it requires very little effort to ride. She's a -15 @ 24mph skier btw. I was willing to buy her anything she wanted, but she kept coming back to the Vapor due to how confident she feels on it.

• Baller

@DonT , I think it is so awesome your wife wants to get into it. My wife skis once or twice a year with the rest of us in the fam, and likes to drive for us, and camp up at the lakes, which is really what she gets out of it. I got her a good wetsuit this year, which helps. I would get her any ski she wanted, but she uses my son's 66" D3 X7 and enjoys it fine. So, I will get her whatever she wants to continue with us, and if she wants to get her own, will gladly get her whatever she wants there as well.

I guess mostly, I am saying congratulations on your wife getting to that point of wanting to get into it. I am sure a lot of us married schmos would love for the same to happen for our wives. In the meantime, I am grateful for my wife's graciousness in allowing mine, and my kids' passions.

• Baller
My wife started on the Radar P6 and is now on the Lyric as well. Definitely buy what she want's and make sure it fit's correctly. Bonus for me, my wife has become a great driver on our private lake which was very intimidating for her at first. Patience and only a few tips each outing worked perfect and as we all know, it is not a easy task.

• Baller
I have to say am super proud of @Shell and very impressed with the Lyric. Today Michelle made six passes where she has been working most of the summer.... 15' off @ 25mph. Made them look EASY so I said "want to speed it up?" She was game and after just a couple attempts she made 4 straight passes at 26.7MPH! The ski seemed to really like the couple extra miles an hour, she held a nice edge thru the wakes (nicer wake at this speed too), she was early on both sides and that Lyric was suddenly turning on a dime! Our observer noticed it right away. (there were multiple "WOWs" coming from his seat on each pass). Talk about a huge smile when she finished. Way to go Babe! <3

• Baller

the title of this thread reminded me of an old joke which i will alter slightly to fit this thread -

this guy is walking down the street holding a brand new water ski when he runs into an old friend. he says ' hey, whadya think of the ski i got for my wife? '

his buddy says ' good trade, man -good trade. '