2015/2016 ski suggestions

76SS

• Baller

Hello Ballers, I have the itch for a new to me ski and would like some suggestions. I'm 54 6'2", 205 and am currently on a 70" HO Phantom. 30 years ago I got into 32 off regularly but don't currently have access to a course (working on that). So right now I guess you would call me an aggressive open water skier; I do really want to get back in the course though.

So, all of that being said I would appreciate some suggestions for a 16 or 17 model ski. Even though my wife says to buy whatever I want, I just can't justify the price of a 2018 top of the line ski given my current situation. I ski 3 to 4 times a week now on Lake Tuscaloosa if there are any other Ballers in the area.

Oh, and binding suggestions also, double boots.

Thanks

• Baller

At 205 a 68" modern ski should work pretty well. There are a bunch of 2016-2017 68" skis on ski-it-again.com with prices ranging from $600-1100.

If you are looking for something a little bigger the HO CX Superlite and TX Superlite come in 69" sizes, the Radar Senate comes in 69 and the Vapor is available in 69.5". Those bigger sizes are hard to find.

• Baller
Given that you want to go smaller there is a D3 ARC-S, Mapple T3, Vapor Pro-Build and Goode Rev 6 all in 68. There is also a Goode XTM in 66.5 which would fit your size and weight as well. Any of those would be a good improvement over the Phantom as would @Gar Flextail.

I just bought a NOS 2016 profile binding from ebay for around 140 I think. I wear size 11 in almost all brands of shoes. Bought a size 11 boot and it fits well. I am pleased with my purchase.

Just be wary, Radar boots fit most skis I think. Not sure if they fit every ski though.

• Baller
I recently left my Phantom with dbl Animals behind after 16 seasons. I tested 5 skis and 4 different dbl boot set ups and ended up with a 2016 HO V-Type R with dbl Radar Vapor Carbitex boots on a Sequence plate that's bolted down tight at each end.