Radar Carbitex boot lacing -suggestions

cragginshred

• Baller

Finally got my Carbitex boots broke in and love them. Same day I almost ran my 1st -32 loop I feel forward at 3 ball at -28 and my back foot came out to the ankle then stopped in the rear boot (RFF). I have been following the guidelines of tight bottom looser top to the point of being able to pull it out on the dock if needed after tightening the same as I would for skiing

Each time I finish my set I can take off top laces and pull foot out without popping boa snap. Having said that from what I

described it was the top the prevented my foot from coming out so it was the culprit that was too tight right?

Last thing I will say is in general I tuck and roll if it's a bad fall and don't come out of the previous Vapor boots which makes me think I don't want to come out. Also in the back of my mind coming out makes it more likely to partially come out??? I have not had any falls like that yet in the Carbitex just tipping over in the apex or pulling off the ball and not being able to hang on..

Any other tips you've found to stay safe?

• Baller
Someone else that skis at our lake tore his ankle up because he didn't release out of his boot. I also ski with a Vapor, however got the next size up which was suggested and have no issue releasing even with the laces super tight. After the heat mold fit like a glove and released as needed. As for the other guy, he puts his foot in a plastic bag and then puts his foot in the boot so he releases. Not sure if you want to try the size up, or about the only thing you can do is loosen the laces which may make it tough to ski.

• Baller

I lace my Carbitex snug on the bottom and snug on the top. Nothing is tight. Haven't had a bad fall yet either, but feel comfortable/confident that the inner shell will pop out with my foot if I do have a bad crash.

Most comfortable boot I've ever had.

• Baller
I just moved into a carbitex front binding and love it as well. I have been in a similar homemade system for years and have found that it is okay to come out partially - front or back. I expect a full release from the carbitex for those out-the-front tuck and roll falls (that fortunately don;t happen as much as they used to!! ). I snug up the top lace and am comfortable and feel a good connection to the ski. I keep my back foot very loose - it helps me make sure I keep my COM forward. In summary if you need to come out completely, you will do so.

• Baller

Right foot forward, double boot,size 9 1/2 shoe, size 10 Carbitex, boa lace and top lace as tight as possible. Tail blew out on my on side at 32off in almost white caps. Front heel only came up less then a inch. Tip of ski hit me above the upper lip had to be glued together. Front Achilles ruptured, broken Fibula. This happened July 29th. My fault for having top bungee too tight. I've rode Vapor boots ever since they were the original Strada boots.

y48nc44c7af8.jpg

• Baller
Just got the 2018 model year of the Carbitex boots. I lace them up in similar fashion to my RS-1's. They are snug on the bottom and loose/snug on the top. Overly tight will hurt your feet while too loose and you won't have any control. Experiment a little bit and see what is the most comfortable. Chances are that if it is comfortable it is less likely to hurt you. Also, don't hold on to anything that can hurt you - we aren't getting paid for this sport :smiley:!

2016 Vapor front (LFF) and rtp rear. Size 9 shoe (USA) and size 10 Vapor. BOA tight, top laces done up but just snug. two or three OTF's this month, all released properly. Vapor boot doesn't quite have the lateral snap and precision of my old Reflex hardshell, but prefer it generally. Really grateful to BoS info for the heads up of having the top lacing a bit loose to aid release, otherwise I may have gone for tight laces all round. Healing vibes to skierjp.

• Baller
I've had them all including the RS-1s. The sizes seem to be consistent. I've been told the insole tightens the boot up a half size. The toe should just touch the end when you try it on. For some reason it doesn't when you ski. One tip is to use a thin dress sock when trying them on. You will get a truer fit. Put the liner in the shell first then put your foot in.

• Baller
My toes hit the fronts of my 10 stradas and I like that. It is similar to snow ski boots when you are skiing your knee is flexed and that moves your toes back in the boot a bit. I think a friend of mine just ordered an 11 Carbitex so I will have that to try on.

• Baller

Not sure about the smaller sizes but my size 13/14 feet (depending on shoe) will touch the front of the 13/14 boot liner un-molded. It's not pressed in there tight but my toe definitely touches. I molded mine with a thick sock on my forefoot and they're perfect that way. I'd say they run maybe a tiny bit small, at least at the big end, but with proper molding, they can be made to fit however you like. If you like a tighter toe clearance, don't use the sock.

See if you can stick your foot into your friend's 11 before he heat molds it. The molding changes everything.

• Baller

Tip for molding, cut the toe and ball off 2 pairs of old socks, bake your liners and pull both cut off toes over your feet, then one pair of socks, this will compress and draw out the foam in the toe of the shoe, while letting the heel and arch mold, intuition sells kits for 10$ that have toe covers - http://intuitionliners.com/shop/home-fitting-kit/

but basically are the same concept - you want clearance in the toe of the shoe.

• Baller
Anyone know where someone in the Sacramento area can try on a Vapor boot? I called Radar, but the customer service person I spoke with could only give me names of Radar dealers in the area, which is already posted on their website. I tried calling a number of the dealers listed, but couldn't find any who could confirm whether or not they had the Vapor boot (they could answer lots of questions about wakeboard products, but ski products -- not so much).

• Baller
Around 7 years ago, I tore a leg muscle when I did not come out of my RS-1's. Ever since then I have been running my Radar boots with slightly snug/loose top laces. Currently on Vapors. Seem to usually release fine, but from time-to-time I will still end up with one foot in and one foot out.