Another help me decide thread...

76SS

• Baller

So I've narrowed my search down to the 2016 & 2017 Lithium Vapor and the 2017 D3 ARC-s. Since I'm looking to buy used, ski-it-again, I can't demo so please let me know what you like, dislike and about the tendancies between the skis. Also, can you mount Radar bindings on the D3. I ask about the bindings because the Radar's are the only ones I've found a decent deal on.

Thanks

• Baller

Radar bindings will mount to the D3 ARC just fine as long as you stay with the sequence plate or the double aluminum plates.

If you plan on getting Radar "Feather Frame" bindings, the front will mount as is, but on the rear binding you have to widen up the rear mounting holes slightly.

(No big deal though.)

• Baller

Great question. Not an exact comparison, but here's my experience with an ARC and Vapor. My buddy demo'd a 68" Arc S this summer, and I strapped my bindings on it for a weekend. I'm 175lb, so I think it was a pinch big for me, but what a great ski. I clearly see why they named it the "ARC." It offered the most predictable arcing turns I've ever experienced on a ski. If my form was a little off, it still came around just like it was supposed to. I was very close to buying one shortly after trying it out, but a good deal came up on a 67" 2017 Pro Build. I had read great things about the Pro Build, and even read some comparisons between the Vapor and ARC.

I decided to pull the trigger on the Pro Build. I'm 3 weeks into the ski, and happy with the decision. The turns aren't as predictable, but the angle and space I'm able to get with the ski is rewarding. I'm still getting it dialed in, but look forward to where things are going.

I personally don't think you can go wrong with either ski. If your weakness is in the turns, I would recommend the ARC. If you have trouble creating space and angle coming out of the turns......I would go with the Vapor. I'm sure others could offer a lot more details, but that's my .02.

• Baller
@ISP6ball Based on your comments the ARC S sounds like it would fit my style of skiing. That being said, I seem to need the angle and space that you say the PB generates. Crap, decisions, decisions!

• Baller

I am currently on a D3 ARC-S. I came from a D3 Z7st and a D3 X7. (Was alternating between those two for about 2 1/2 years before I switched.)

The ARC-S rides like a typical D3 ski, just a bit more "refined". So no surprises here. It is very predictable and forgiving, turns incredibly smooth and is still fast across the wakes. It is/was actually the first ski that allowed me to make up time & even angle between the buoys @ 55k.

I have no experience with Radar skis though, but as a D3 skier, the ARC is definitely a ski you will like!

• Baller
@DavidN , did you try the yellow ARC too before getting your ARC-S? If so, I am curious about your impressions. I fell so deeply in love with my new ARC right away that I told Paul not to bother sending out an ARC-S to try. And at my current level, I do not think it would make a lot of difference. But just curious if you had any impressions. It seems a very personal thing.

• Baller

@sunvalleylaw

Yes, I had the opportunity to try the yellow one as well.

Liked the blue one better. I'm a pretty lightweight skier, so soft flex always worked better for me. The yellow ARC might have been a bit faster cross course, but less smooth around the ball. (For me) and I found it a bit less forgiving.

• Baller
@DavidN That makes sense. I am on the heavier side of the range for my length, so even if I was good enough to really tell, I bet I would still feel great on the yellow. Feels super smooth and carvey to me around the turn. Even better when I stand on it and finish the turn correctly. Though it is forgiving when I don't.

• Baller_
For what it's worth, I've watched lots of skiers on Radar and D3. Radar either works very well, or it doesn't work at all. D3 may not work the best, but everyone can ski on it. If you are flying blind, I'd say the D3 is the safer bet. The Radar could be the better ski or it could just not work at all for you.

Lpskier

• Baller
@"76S&S" , from there, if at all possible, I would try to hop on the skis and see, and then not over analyze but go with what one feels bed. But you said that wasn't possible. So based on the above, I think you can't go wrong either way, and you should just go with your gut and instinct and enjoy it. I know I enjoy mine! Happy shopping and skiing!

• Baller

Reviving this thread as I still haven't pulled the trigger. I'm shopping on SIA so my options are always changing, especially since I'm shopping for a 68. So current skis that I'm considering:

2017 Lithium Vapor - new

2016 Lithium Vapor - new

2014 HO S2 - used

I'd also have the D3 Arc-s in the mix if there was one in my price range available. I let one get away last week.

There is also a D3 Arc (yellow), that is available. Slightly over my budget but I could swing it if it were the answer.

If I'd been in the market a couple of years ago I'd have been all over the S2; I've always read great things about that ski.

I'm really handicapped by not being able to demo so any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks again.