Upgrade ski or binding

Fam-man

• Baller

The season is wrapping up here in Canada and I'm contemplating an equipment upgrade. I'm working towards 15 off 34 mph, currently on a 2015 radar senate with double vectors.

Thinking about switching to a front vapor or keep saving for a new ski. Any thoughts on which to switch out first?

• Baller

What is your goal?

My personal experience has been that a ski upgrade can give me advancement within a set or two if the ski works for me. Binding "upgrades" can be a momentary reversal of progress as you adapt to the feeling of new bindings, but can have a bigger pay off long term.

• Baller

I know they are made by a different manufacturer, but would fit, so I would consider the D3 bindings. T-Factors or even Leverages. Both provided good performance. And Nate runs the T-Factors at his level. I personally noticed a difference in control over the edges. The ski even felt edgy at first until I got used to it. I think they would work well on the Vapor. And I just like how they are built, and how you can rebuild them if a part breaks, as opposed to the Radar style bindings. And as you know, I am right in there with you in terms of course performance. Hoping move into 22 off and at least look at 28 off next year. I set my goals kinda lofty! :)

Leverage vs. T-Factor

T-Factor

Also, I am in the camp of not planning to go hard shell. As a life long snow skier who knows about DIN settings on snow bindings, I just can't bring myself to trust the hard shell release systems. Understanding of course that weird things could possibly happen in any binding. And if a T-Factor is good enough for Nate . . .

And I think I would do that instead of a ski for now, and keep saving for a ski after you get into 22. Motivation and all!!

EDIT: Also, we need to support and motivate each other on this quest toward 28. @gregy has a thread he just posted a week ago or so that was very encouraging and had some good advice. I am sure you saw it. I am hoping to get a few more sets in this season, but there is a dusting of snow on the ground right now as I write this.

• Baller

Nice thing about upgrading to a better set of bindings first is you can use them now, and then move them over onto the new ski when your ready for that purchase.

This way your only changing one thing at a time, which will make the transitions smoother.

If you go from a Vector to a Profile, your ski will be much more responsive. It will take a few passes to adjust, but you won't have to work as hard to roll your ski on edge. The full boots are great, they keep your gett much warmer in cold water. It is also nice to be able to heat mold the liners to your foot, they will hug your foot like a good snow ski boot. My husband skied on a Senate with Vectors a couple years ago due to an injury, when he switched to a Vapor/Vapor setup he couldn't believe the difference.