Winter Storage on a course

JAG

• Baller

So we have a new to us, Wally Sinker Course. Our club members are half divided in 1) removing the balls or 2) leaving them attached. Removing the balls seems like a lot of work in the spring, trying to raise the sand bag laden arms. The thought behind taking them off is so they stay cleaner for next year.

I'm of a single minority in removing the balls but attaching our worn, backup buoy's to ride out the cold.

I was wondering what everyone else does.

thanks,

• Baller
Our water doesn't freeze but our lake drops a few feet and all the buoys lay on their sides. Some sink (probably shot) and some float off. Either way in the spring the ones that remain are gross and usually need to be replaced. We have talked about putting milk jugs out there. Has anyone tried this? a few sources have them for cheap (under a dollar a piece.

• Baller
The winter sun usually kills milk jugs. I'd consider clipping a retrieval bouy of something closed cell to the turn ball side gate bouy rope of each arm. So that it will sink but be easy to retrieve. Maybe even something with a big orange eye so you can snag it even when really cold.

• Baller
I’d leave them on and give a good scrub in the spring. The state made me remove and sink to the bottom over the winter. Basically made the system impossible given the work involved in spring and fall. If the system is going up and down reliably now, don’t touch a thing.

• Baller_
I pull my Accufloat. I know it's safe and I have the opportunity to inspect the cable and pipes for wear or damage. Takes four people a couple hours to put in and take out. Mine isn't a sinker, though, and that likely adds some steps and time. It might still be a good idea so you can inspect it.

Lpskier

• Baller
@lpskier My accu-sink was a solid 12 hr install for two guys. Installed home made float course first followed by installing subfloats, bouys and airlines, securing each air line to cable and pvc arms with plastic safety ties, not to mention half bricks every 10 ft full length of course. Wally doesn't have bricks so a little time saving but, just sink it, It is easier. I put a plug over valve quick fitting,roll air line into circle, safety tie it, and cover with bricks in a few feet of water.