Selling a boat with high hours

bojans

• Baller
We just upgraded to a newer boat a few weeks ago and have our 1998 SN up for sale, 2,100 hrs, interior needs skins and the gelcoat is faded. Boat was mechanically well maintained, runs good and has ZBox. Currently listed at $8,900. I have only received a couple inquires and nothing serious. I know this time of year can be slow for selling but I am just trying to get a pulse on the market, am I pricing it reasonably?

• Baller
@bojans I have 2 different ski friends that just sold their newer boats (Sept). My 2012 Prostar has been listed for over a month. Few tire kickers, but hasn't sold. Info for selling something with higher hours- My 2016 Ram truck has 34000 miles which equates to 1100 Hrs on it's hour meter. McGinnis Ski school had a CC 200 with 6000 Hrs on it (sold and now has new boat). Skied perfectly well. Lots of buyers get freaked by higher hours, but the info provided proves that these engines are built to last for a long time under heavy use. Best of luck.

• Baller
$8900 is a lot of money. I recently paid $9999 for a 95 Prostar with 390 hours. It was pristine and needed nothing except Perfect Pass. (I also recognize I may have stolen it) I know Nautiques are phenomenal and have great reputations but your price might be high given that most buyers might think they would be putting an immediate couple thousand into the boat.

• Baller

Sounds pretty high considering you are saying it needs 5K worth of upholstery, a full wet sand and compound and potentially a 4K engine replacement before too long. Your market is small, a guy who just wants a boat, doesn't care what it looks like and is willing to take the risk on an obsolete engine that many would consider to be near the end of life.

Might be worth taking the time to get the outside looking nice - as that is pretty inexpensive as a DIY project.

• Baller
@bojans I think $8900 is priced pretty well. If a buyer cares about having a good hull with a strong engine for under 10k the 97+ Nautique is one of the best deals around. who cares about upholstery or faded gelcoat... I think it's just a bad time of the year to sell a boat otherwise you would have low ball offers at least.

• Baller
All around tough sell as it sits, including the time of year. I completely agree that you'd be further ahead using the winter to buff it out, and perhaps swap some skins. A set from nautiqueskins.com will run you between $2-2.5k, depending how many you need. Maybe less if the coaming pads are ok? Of course, even then it could be tough getting close to $9k with 2,100 hours.

• Baller_
@bojans : fall sale might be to someone who wants a winter project & low price to compensate for labor needed. DIY the cosmetics for the spring demand season, but expect your competition to offer pristine options. You are in the buyers market phase now, spring becomes the sellers opportunity.

• Baller_

Just picked up a 99 for $3500.00 if that means anything!

The problem is dumping $2-$3K into a boat to sell it for Maybe $8500 just does not make much sense.

Also there is a plethora of tournament boats on the market right now and none are selling at least not for what they "should" sell for.

• Baller

Like others are saying with a shot interior and exterior you have a very limited market but the market is there. You really can only sell a boat like that as a dedicated slalom tug and nothing else. Personally, I like that; but I also know that market is super super small.

I wouldn't take less than 8k for that boat. Clean up the outside a little for a few hundred bucks and hold steady.

If I lived on a lake I would be all over a boat like this as a second boat for the slalom tractor.

• Baller
The white whale can be found. I've seen a 99 bought for $1,000. But be realistic, that's insane and never likely to happen. The "value" of the boat you're selling, is for a slalom tug. Someone caring more about the wake and PP/Zbox than the interior. That's obviously what you wanted, and who you're thinking will see value in it. As strictly a slalom tug, yeah, maybe it's an 8500 boat, but your market is crazy small. A couple years ago, that would have been a good price, even when one considered it strictly for a ZO re power, but the used ZO boats are common now, and having $20,000 in a 97-99 bubble back, just doesn't make sense. You need to make it pretty, or be happy getting $7,500 for it. Maybe both.

Definitely buff it out at least... It's a pretty cheap way of making major potential improvement as far as resale goes. I'm not trying to be rude, but it looks pretty hammered the way it is. Presentation means a lot - makes people think that you've been good about upkeep on other parts of the boat too.

• Baller_

@shansen345

Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise!

This $3500 boat rolled into my shop from a father and son boat deal that they purchased as a repo from a bank!

Long story short, Salt water boat, low compression GT-engine with rotted out manifolds and risers, lots of shade tree engineers had worked on it and interior was not so good.

When I quoted the replacement engine components, labor and potential other can of worms the duo decided to cut their losses and move on.

Currently the boat has been stripped cleaned and is ready for a Excalibur and ZO install. A local upholstery shop is doing a semi custom re-skin.

Next year when you visit Divorce Lake this 99 is what the club will be utilizing as a ski Tractor!

Oh and it is a non Green 99! Red/Black!

• Baller

Im with @shansen345 , the presentation means a lot, and reflects on how it's been treated. As a recent buyer of a TSC1 myself, the overall interior condition weighed pretty heavily on my purchase. When I'm forking out that kind of cash, I want something I can be proud of, even if it costs a bit more.

I got mine just over a month ago, which had 920 hours, PP classic, and a full interior replacement in 2008 (hours were front loaded on this one) for just over 12K. If you could get the full

• Baller

I think people with $9000 as there budget , are not likely to rush into anything in a hurry, they obviously do not have a lot of disposable money to spend on a boat, so they are going to look around until, that bargain boat presents itself, something that looks nice and runs OK.

Different if somebody just wants a backup workhorse, but I reckon they are going to want it cheap.