Divisions S3 and S4

lpskier

• Baller_

@LeonL John Sheely (M5?) skied S3 and Dennis Longo (M7 or 8) and John Autore (M7) skied S4. That’s all I can tell you about ages.

@bkreis I’ve never seen an “S” division before. Where in anyone’s rule book is it authorized? It is scored per World rules, so a score at -38/34 was in the High 50’s. But why the need for a “new” division to qualify for Worlds I thought that’s what an “L” was for.

Lpskier

• Baller

Since the IWWF divisions don't precisely line up with the AWSA divisions, some may choose to ski international divisions. For example, a 53 year old M5 skier has to slow down in jump, but could still make an international team in S2 where he could jump at the faster speeds.

I believe there is currently a rule change proposal to more closely align the divisions.

• Baller_

Touched base with a couple senior officials, and the analysis above is correct. So you can ski age group at max US speed in an L or you can ski an S division at max IWWF speed. If your IWWF max speed is slower than you want to ski, you can drop down an age group. So if I’m 66 and would ski S4 at 32, I can ski S3 at 34, because while I’m at or over 65, I’m also at or over 55.

So, if my age group is pulled by driver X in a Malibu, and X drives consistently down the 135 side, or I hate the Malibu, I can elect to ski a S division and try to finagle it into the riunning order when my favorite driver in a Nautique is on the water. Oh boy, ... I’ve seen it happen between age group and Open when the age group driver is perceived to give a better pull; for example if I was driving open and Chad Scott was driving Men 1 and 2...

Lpskier