camaro modetec vs. blacktec

6balls

• Baller

Time for a new wet suit for xmas. I've had a blacktec long sleeve shorty the last few years and love it. When the sun is out it feels like I have a warm iron on me even on a chili day. I'm very inclined to order another.

What is the modetec advantage or disadvantage vs. the blacktec?

How is the Camaro Pro Vest? My old O'neill is coming apart.

Geez I need a new drysuit, too, after mine got cut off by the paramedics after shattering my leg last spring...and a few pairs of gloves. I guess Santa has it easy...new ski gear for me. No ropes, ski or boat for the moment!

• Baller_

Stokes 3/4 is a great suit, but I think it is a better “cold day/warm water” suit as its neck closure allows some water down your back. Even though i prefer the over-the-knee style, I think the Camero spring suit is better/dryer in cold water. The warmest, dryest, and most durable spring suit is an O’Neill, but it doesn’t quite fit like a Camero. I am 6’2” , 180 lbs and wear an XL in all three.

I have heard a rumor that Camero may have a 3/4 coming, but I haven’t seen one.

For gloves, check out the new Gordon Rathburn Ski Paradise gloves. I have about 25 sets on mine and the fit (which was great to begin with) hasn’t changed a bit. At $49 bucks, they are a steal. FYI, I’ve been wearing Radar and HO gloves in size small and went to a large in Gordon’s glove.

Lpskier

• Baller
Slight high jack here... I picked up an O'Neill Epic long sleeve spring from @perfski last year. Wow super nice fit and warm down to about 60. I just got two suits back from O'Neill's repair shop that I bought from @perfski in the 90's. An Assault dry suit (1996) and a BLP 3/4 (1994) - both are refreshed with new tape and glue, and in excellent condition, good for another 20 years.

• Baller

@lpskier .... Here is the story on the Camaro 3/4 Suit. I was in Performance and bought a 3/4 Stokes 3 weeks a go. I talked with Bill Porter extensively about how Camaro should build a 3/4 because with the shorty, water goes up your legs. I explained that a lot of skiers had complained about this on BOS. This is the reason I bought the Stokes.

Bill had a meeting with the Camaro people, got back to me, and said that they would look at setting up the full suit, with a designated area that you could cut off to convert it to a 3/4. The suit would specifically be set up properly to do that. That would save a lot of cost in their production line.

• Baller

@Ed_Johnson I think your compression tights over short legs is still the superior solution. Last month a got a deal on a Camaro triathlon suit ( sleeveless with 3/4ish legs) to wear in combination with a long sleeve BlackTec top. I still found my back leg getting pushed up, and believe me the thing is tight around my knees. It's almost like a tourniquet when the water forces it up further. It's an easy to put on solution, but a pita to get off.

To the original question of Modetec vs. BlackTec - I find that the Modetec is good down to about 60 degree water, but it's so thin you do get a wind chill when the air is cold. I wear the BlackTec down to the upper 40's, which takes me to the point where none of my group is willing to come and drive for me anymore, let alone ski. I also feel comfortable enough with it to keep it on until we're all done skiing even when the air is cold.

• Baller_
Same as @dchristman and prob same suite. The Tri suite is shorter then full but not quit 3/4. Back leg gets rolled up with water pressure. Can only imagine 3/4 doing the same. Its basically a black tec. Camaro is just so stretchy. I've used various straps and things with success on both the Tri and a shorty long sleeve to keep them water tight-ish. Black tec is more durable in my experience. Had a chance to see a Stokes in person. Very nice...very.

• Baller

@scotchipman ... I couldn't agree more that the 3/4 Camaro would be ideal. If it does occur we owe the credit to Bill Porter @perfski . I explained the need, but Bill is the one that took this direct to Camaro and pushed for it. Bill is someone that gets things done.

As another example, I also discussed with Bill that my ML Ergo Handle, after a year and a half, was finally on it's last leg, and that I was concerned ML was not making it any more. Bill said he would look into it..... One week later Bill called me and said your NEW ERGO handle is here. OUTSTANDING !!! Now that is service, and I greatly encourage Ballers to do business with @perfski. They support us greatly.

• Baller

I bought a blacktec 2.0 suit this Fall and its super warm and comfy. I am seeing how far I can go this Nov/Dec with it in comparison to my traditional 4/3 surfing wetsuits.

I especially notice I am much warmer after skiing in the boat as it doesn’t seem to absorb water like a traditional wetsuit.

Only two drawbacks for me on the Camaro are that it’s very fragile/easy to tear and the neck seal isn’t as good as my rip curl 4/3 chest zip.

• Baller
Skied last week in the renewed Assault 2ml dry suit. Water 44, air 53. Compression pants and l/s shirt underneath. Nice and toasty. 3 weeks ago had my best set of the year in the Assault with the air and water both in the low 50's. They do a very nice job with repairs at O'Neill

• Baller
Agree with @Jmoski that the Camaro material is fragile. Bought Camaro shorts this past summer and after 6 or 7 uses, they started tearing. Contacted them and they would not repair or replace. I will probably purchase a Stokes product for any future needs; I have my eye on the 3/4 but they don't have my size right now.

• Baller

True on fragile...just 2 seasons out of my Camaro Black-tec but it's SO warm and I'm always SO cold. It's not shot, but it's worn for sure. I love the way it absorbs the heat of the sun.

Anyone tried their vest...I'm in the market there, too. May just pick up another Oneill. Wish Straightline still made theirs that was the best.

• Baller

The Camaro stuff is so nice. So comfortable and warm. I have 2x 3/4s and 2x full suits. This way I have a dry one for the second ride. Also I like spare everything.

They are fragile in comparison to traditional neo but worth it to me. Just be careful putting it on and off. I always pull on the inside material not the outside which has made a huge difference. I will get several seasons out of a suit and we wear them a lot. Nov-April.

I had a great experience with warranty with a zipper issue and they sent me a brand new suit no questions asked.

• Baller
@6balls I have the camaro vest and love it. It is longer than other vests and has lasted quite well. 2 full seasons March-Nov 3 times a week, 2 to 3 sets a day. The first one I had had some stitching issues that they replaced the complete vest at no cost to me after a season of use. I have a couple of Eagles that are good but I like the Camaro more. Probably just a personal preference thing versus a product quality thing. I now have 2 full Camaro wetsuits and the original I am keeping going with Aquaseal. It has lasted at least 3 winter seasons and I think I can stretch it one more. The rubber on the knees and shoulders is starting to separate into mini chunks that I Aquaseal back together to stop water egress. Oops I have the black tec 2.0 now 1.5 full suits. I also have the Modtec silver 0.5 top and a black tec 1.5 top. The silver top is looking ragged because the silver wears off. Still works fine for warmth.

• Baller

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade with these Camaros, but if anyone thinks your going to replace a drysuit with these you better do your homework. I bought a Blactec 2.0 (1.5) because I bought into all the hype here about it. I got the discount, immediate delivery, and surfer girl was very pleasant to deal with. It's not replacing my drysuit though. I'm 59, 150- 155 Ibs. very little fat and I was getting cold in 60 deg water. Granted I was pulling down the balls and was in the water awhile but I also filled it up with hot water from my shower. Yes it's flexible and all that and has a decent warranty it's just the cold issue. ( and I'm well acquainted with cold water and working in sub-zero temps.) And for sure you better be careful putting on and taking off. The best comparison of this suit fragility wise is those old black skiwarms from 35 years ago. I've an Oneill 3/4 slalom suit that is over 10 years old with no damage to it!! I wish they still made those.

fwiw

• Baller

@EFW I agree I'm a chilly guy for the most part...and a drysuit early spring and late fall is worth it's weight in gold to me.

I'm not looking for a suit to replace my drysuit--as noted they cut my drysuit off when I torched my leg so I'm also drysuit shopping.

• Baller
Agreeing to dis-agree with @EFW. In my experience when I am skiing sets the Camaro is easier and just as warm as my drysuit. When I am adjusting buoys my dry-suit is way warmer than the Camaro. I and the people at my lake that have tried the Camaro's never ski in their drysuit's anymore. If at this time of the year you need to spend a lot of time in the water versus skiing I also would not suggest considering the Camaro. We have more complaints about hands and feet getting cold when skiing by people wearing Camaros versus body cold. I for one cannot do anything once my hands are cold. The water here is getting into the low 50's and will soon be into the 40's. At about 45 I will be done mainly because of hand issues versus being cold in a Camaro. I am only relating what we do here in Colorado at the lake we ski at. Maybe in more humid climates the Camaro may not work as well.