Cold feet question for the snow skiers here

Chef23

• Baller

Two days of skiing in sub 10* weather. I tried the stick on heating packs and they really didn’t help much. I couldn’t take more than 3-4 runs before I had to come in and my feet were so cold I had to take my boots off.

Everything else would have been warm enough for me to stay out longer. I got a new pair of all leather Hestra mittens and they were awesome. I am definitely going to have to get a better solution to keeping my feet warm.

• Baller

@Chef23 I also have cold feet. I have noticed that the warmest boot is not the boot with warm liner etc.. For me the warmest boot is the boot with toebox which allows to move fingers (at least to have a little freedom to move). For years I have changed more than a dozen (if not two) boots and liners. And paradoxically, the warmest were very narrow sport boots with thin liners. Current boot is 95mm wide whereas my foot is 101mm wide. Paradox.

In the lift up I unbuckle 2nd from below and move toe fingers. It helps.

When temp goes colder, below minus 10-15C I use heated socks (Lenz, with bluetooth feature - very comfy) in order to use same insoles.

Also people say that neo BootGlove is a good thing (though looks strange)

Warm (thicker) liner requires more tightening and makes things even worse by constantly squeezing foot.

Intuition is irritatingly hot in spring time.

IMO - the most important is to find shell that fits anatomy of your foot, than experiment with liners.

All manufacturers have their own so called "basic foot pattern". It is turned out that my foot is Atomic pattern, and 10 years in a row before I have tortured myself adjusting different Fischers.

When you find your shell it makes a miracle.

Hope it gives you another 2 cents of information.

As you correctly noticed - it is more about circulation and it very much depends on map of your foot vessels.

• Baller_
@Chef23 The toe heaters I recommended need air to work. You have to start the chemical reaction that causes the warming process a couple minutes before putting them in your boots. Periodically, the heaters need more air than they get in a ski boot, do you have to pull your feet out of your boots. Then again, your boots may not be as “warm” as others (warm being a relative term) or your circulation in your feet may not be as good as it once was. Sorry they didn’t work for you.

Lpskier

• Baller
@oldjeep , was going to fish mine back out. My feet stay warm with my boot heaters while really skiing, but if I am buckled more loosely for lower level lessons and coaching, and when I am sliding my turns quite a bit during said teaching/coaching, my boots can leak. The man made on the groomers especially seems to want to find its way inside. I have a pair of those boot covers. Going to grab them back out and use them again. I think it will help with the leaking snow when sliding around. My current gorilla tape is ripped and needs to be replaced. But I will still keep my heaters, which also help a lot.

• Baller
About the foot heaters, I have put them over my socks, above the toes. Not maybe as warm as under, but no worries about being uncomfortable. They stick to the top of your socks. Just need to be careful slipping the boots on, so they don't bunch up. Of course, start with dry socks and warm/dry boots.

• Baller

I was having some cold feet issues, particularly in my right foot, recently in my custom fit boots. It is a tight performance fit with a lot of punching and grinding. Went back in and found some "6th toe" area issues that needed re-addressing, and a couple hot spots on my ankles that were also affecting blood flow. Got them fixed overnight and it is a world of difference. If you have fit issues, get yourself into a good boot tech and get them addressed.

PS, I still love my Sidas heaters. :smiley:

Also, now that we have natural snow, the leaking I mentioned has decreased. That man made snow is really fine and gets in to any nook or crevice. Especially when demoing steered intermediate turns. Will have to remember that for next Christmas and get the boot covers out.