Pole Vault

Than_Bogan

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with todd. Fix the pole carry and plant. I have vaulted for over 25yrs and coached many beginners.

There is a pole vault event in gettysburg every year and the runway and pit are set up next to a lake. Pole vault one day, ski the next day.

Than set up a combined event in the east and i will be there.

Sounds like a pole vault/waterski biathlon is in order.

Maybe throw in a mountain bike downhill and we got the new Triathlon, heck we could submit it to Olympic committee.

We used to do a few mall vaults in Eugene, people loved to watch it plus it was pretty fun jumping 17' inside a mall. Lot's of beach vaults too, combining two obscure events could boost attendance.

@ToddF have you jumped at indoor masters nationals before? I just received an email from USTF about it today. I would love to go but traveling with poles has always prevented me from going. This year it is in Maryland so within driving distance.

• Baller
@ToddF - very cool (the going, the competing, the clearing part)! Picking poles was my son's downfall at the end of his senior season. It was a constant battle for he and his coach to have him on the right pole. Cost him going to state champs his senior season. He would blow through every pole, then his coach would invariably tell him to get the next one and it would be "too big" in his mind and he couldn't move it. His takeoff, invert, and height were really good and he would blow bars off and land in the back of the pit.. Then next pole would go nowhere. Really frustrating.

• Supporting Member

Got to carry the pole like a Real Vaulter last night. Felt cool. Also first lesson in the inversion. So far so good... Oddly enough, the whole process actually seems a little more natural when upside down at the apex. Wasn't expecting that!

I talked with them a bit about the newb training method they use with the at-ear pole carry, and basically it just comes down to fewer movements to coordinate in the early days. They want to describe the fewest possible things to get someone to safely go up into the air and land on the mat.

Fwiw, I found it easy to pick up the real pole carriage, but as soon as I was moving my arms and the pole that much, it was all I could think about, so I was glad I already kinda knew what else to do with my body after that.

They didn't particularly evangelize their approach, but I have found this sequence easy enough to digest, so I'll probably copy it for any true newbs I teach. Maybe someday I'll have enough experience to freestyle my own teaching methods :).

• Baller

@Than_Bogan -i know nothing about pole vault but when i watched your video the glaring error i saw was you trying to pull your body up to a greater height by bending your arms. if you want your hips to swing up higher than your shoulders the *last* thing you would want to do is pull your shoulders up with your arms. in fact -again i know *zero* about correct technique -i would say that allowing your arms to get as straight as possible during initiation of the ' invert ' would mechanically make it much easier to swing your hips and legs up over your body.

i see a parallel here between trying to gain height in vaulting by pulling yourself up with your arms and trying to gain more power in skiing by pulling in with your arms during the cut -both are intuitive but futile.

• Supporting Member

@mwetskier Apparently you now know something about the pole vault!! That is exactly correct.

I've since improved that ... a bit.

But it's hilarious to hear "don't bend your arms" after I've said that to other people about 1000 times!

• Supporting Member

Since some people appear to care:

1) I had three of "my" vaulters with me at "the vault place" on Sunday. Very cool.

2) I believe I have recruited a 3-event skier to try the vault in a few weeks after her (snow) ski season ends. That makes 4 girls and 0 boys!

3) I experienced bending the pole for the first time. I actually think it was a bit of a mistake -- didn't drive up properly and so slightly went "under" the pole. But anyhow I'm holding high enough on a pole now that bending is a possibility. Kind of a cool feeling. Perhaps will seem routine someday? I need to video again. I have a LONG ways to go (haven't even tried to clear anything yet), but I've also learned a ton since my previously posted video.

• Supporting Member

Latest video. LONG way to go, but also making some progress. Bungee is at 9'6" -- possibly my c.o.m. is above that (although obviously many technical elements left to learn before actually clearing anything!)

Also note the "subtle" product placement! :)

• Supporting Member

Um, whoops. Should be actually shared now...

Gotta post these while they're still funny. In a few months, I'll just be a generic bad pole vaulter!

Also, this video was helpful, because I realized I was running so effing slowly. Next two were a bit better because of that realization.

• Supporting Member

Actually, kinda the opposite. So many of these kids are here because they either have no coach at all, or a coach who knows absolutely nothing about the vault. They're kind of excited about someone actually doing it to learn to coach.

Plus I take about 1/3 as many as the kids and my run is short :).

• Supporting Member

Update: My coaching career has begun! So far, it appears that I have fooled everyone into believing I am the pole vault coach!! Less surprisingly, things are going well with the high jumpers.

Of all the paranoid thoughts I had of what could go wrong as a newb coach, it never crossed my mind that my #1 "problem" would be: Way too many people! I briefly had 25 pole vaulters, but I think a few have already decided it wasn't for them. But I still have 20+ vaulters and 15+ high jumpers. And these events are sorta like skiing, in that only one person can go at a time. I'm slowly coming up with logistical solutions as well as stuff for people to do who are waiting...

I think part of the story is that the gymnastics coach is also the LJ/TJ coach and so she recruited a ton of gymnasts, along the lines of: Fast gymnasts: long jump. Strong gymnasts: pole vault. Tall gymnasts: high jump. That would also help explain why about 3/4 of all of "my" athletes are girls.

• Supporting Member

Crossover special! Yesterday, I vaulted with my Camaro 3/4 suit on. It's been raining almost every day for a month, so the mats are basically wet sponges and landing on them kind of sucked -- until I put on the Camaro! Wish I'd thought of it sooner.

Anyhow the coaching is going great. Now if the weather will stop sucking...

• Supporting Member

@rfa Well actually it was kind of a big day for me, as I did my first ever 8-step approaches and then felt that "serious" pole bend that expert vaulters get. (Not to imply I am an expert vaulter yet!) That really feels amazing. I might even put it up there with the acceleration out of the ball in slalom.

I was totally paralyzed by the awesomeness and forgot everything I ever knew about what to do after leaving the ground, but I still sailed over 9' in a silly chair position. I think it's gonna take a while to not be overwhelmed by how cool that feels and actually do some technical stuff in the air, but whenever I finally do, I expect to crush my current PB of 9'3".

• Supporting Member

As previously predicted, I am now just a generic bad vaulter, so this video isn't quite as funny as the earlier ones. Perhaps someday I'll be a generic "OK" vaulter... I'm not quite sure why it's partly slo-mo -- that seems to have happened because of uploading it from the Hudl Technique app. (These new-fangled gadgets!!)

• Supporting Member
Yes. As a jumper my entire life, the idea that ONE of the four jump events only counts half the steps is pretty much impossible for me to accept. Maybe next year. But probably not. Everyone on earth knows what 8 steps is -- except apparently pole vaulters. :)

• Baller

as skiers we have access to water and a dock among other things. Why get hung up with a bar height, standards, and a foam pit when FIERLIJEPPEN will serve all the basic needs? This would make the ultimate 4 event tournament!

Go ahead, google it. FIERLIJEPPEN

• Supporting Member

So I've finally started skiing, and I swear the vaulting and related preparation (mostly core exercises hanging from a bar) have put me at a better starting point than I've been at after many seasons of off-season gym work.

More fun AND more effective FTW!

• Supporting Member

Coming to the end of the season. What a blast. Managed to qualify one boy and one girl into the state tournament, which Natick hadn't done in many years. Also my army of freshmen made great progress. Excited for the off-season and next season.

With most of the high schooler's season over, I've done more vaulting myself in recent practices. On the one hand, this latest video is embarrassing because I was really making some progress on the invert ... until this day. But anyhow, this is technically the highest I've cleared with a real bar (9'), so I guess it's another step along the way.

Sorry about the 1/4 speed. I haven't bothered to figure out how to import from Hudl Technique while adjusting for the frame rate.

I also seem to have realized that Old Man Nationals opens at 7'6". Hmmmmm....

• Supporting Member

Thread resurrection! (Seemed better to contain this off-topicness to one thread.)

Coach Doug managed to capture a drill where I actually put a little pressure into the pole, which is the main thing I've been working on the last few weeks.

I think the water-skiing parallel would be going from zero leverage to mediocre leverage position.

This is just a drill, but if you look closely you can see my arms aren't instantly absorbing all of the energy that I just put into the pole as I take off, and my chest doesn't instantly mash into the pole like it does in the older videos on this thread.

You can tell from the silly smile on my face that I could feel the difference. Of course, the next day that I vaulted I was terrible... Yet another thing that is just like slalom!

Baby steps...