Reflex binding help.

Wish

• Baller_
Hoping there is a way to fix it. It does operate and releases but not being able to adjust... it could get out of sink with the needed release down the road. Do they typically have a shelf life? If so, how long? Still hoping for repair ideas.

• Baller

@Wish, picture attached is of the corroded internals of a Reflex, you can see a nut that should have lugs to connect to the chrome part on the left but these are corroded away and caused a catastrophic failure on this unit.

No matter what you do to free your friends Reflex off it will still have a lot of corrosion and be more likely to fail in the future and possibly injure the skier.

As far as I am aware Reflex only sell the spring and screw as replacement parts so if there is corrosion on the nut you will still be looking at a possible future failure, so I would advise buying a new unit and keeping it lubricated with waterproof grease.

Written by someone who has had 3 reflexes break while skiing which were 3 of the 4 worst falls I have had in 30 years of skiing.

ytff25grf903.jpg

• Baller_

@Cam that is good info. As for general preventative maintainance, exactly what do you do as far as

waterproof grease..the what kind, where and how often part. I recently switched to reflex and do not want this kind of thing happening to mine.

• Baller

@Wish I use the grease we pack our rudder with at the beginning of the season and just check the release settings once a month, if you have just moved to Reflex the screw from 2015ish will be stainless steel so less chance of corrosion.

Corrosive properties of the water you ski in should also be taken into consideration for your maintenance schedule.

• Baller
Maybe I'm being grumpy but why are we talking about trying to fix something as important as a the tension screw for a release mechanism? There's lot of discussion on BOS about the safest bindings etc but it seems to me the safest binding is one that works properly and is in good shape. Just my two cents.

• Baller
Ted prolly because water skiers are the cheapest people on the planet when it comes to equipment! after all what could go wrong! I have crawled out of the cat tails a few times from broken releases and if that doesnt get your attention nothing will! Love my reflex though!

• Baller_
@lakeaustinskier can't get the screw to even back out. Just lookn for advice on how to get it out to even look at it. If it's just replacing parts great..if more then that.. that's fine too. Will do what's needed. Will he use it as is...hell no. He's a safety nut. This just got away from him cause he's been off the ski fo some time. @Cam I'll be greasing mine tomorrow. Thank you!

• Baller

I’m with @Cam on greasing for preventative maintenance. I take mine apart every few months, just to visually inspect all components. Since starting to grease everything, it surprises me how good all the pieces look. Another aspect of taking it apart, it forces you to recheck your release mechanism for proper tension and release.

I’d take his off the plate and let it soak submerged for a couple days in your favorite flavor of lubricant. Then, get in touch with Jean Marc at Reflex. You won’t find better customer service. If you can get all new internals, is there any reason to get a new unit? I can’t think of one.

• Baller

@Chef23 I just use a Mobil1 synthetic packing grease. The main parts, that can be a major pain are the little “T” nut and the slots it has to fit in, see below

bdaiiscowx21.jpeg

Obviously, this is not the best example, but on the end of what’s left of that bolt is what’s left of the “T” nut. See the slots in the receiver clamp? The T ends go in those slots. Those can be a huge pain to make sure that’s all in place. Outside of that, it’s simple

I may have posted better pictures in another old thread. I’ll look, but tonight is feeling like a lazy night and this is all the time an extremely pregnant woman is giving me for BOS

• Baller

@Wish if yours is seized you probably have the silvretta 500. The problem with that was that the spring steel and coating was not designed to withstand the waterskiing conditions and even if you manage to move the screw the spring will be probably broken in multiple parts. When a spira breaks the spring becomes shorter and the tension softens. Now if you are a very technical skier you might not experienced prereleases but if you push it hard it could release in cases that it shouldn't.

After a while Reflex started making a very durable spring installed in the newer 750 or selling it as a spare part together with a stainless screw. All good if your release was treated well from the beginning and the steel nut is in good condition, if the steel nut is very rusty that is a problem because they don't sell it as a spare part and it is better to buy a new release.

As far as I know, Reflex now makes the 750 and not Silvretta, they put in an excellent quality spring, t-nut, washer and screw are stainless steel but the quality of the plastic and the steel arms is not as good as when it was made by silvretta, (arms rust fast) If you can ask Reflex to sell you all the insides and put them in a well maintained 500, then yes repair the release you have, otherwise buy a new one.

Personally I put grease inside, try to dry the release after every use, treat it wth silicon spray and keep the ski inside in a dry place and not in a bag.

When the rust starts I take it apart, take the rust off and respay it with primer and good quality black coating and put it back together.

Doing the above your release would last for a decade.

I know I wrote to much about this, I'll pm you the steps of taking apart and putting it back together.

• Baller

@skialex , @Cam , and @aupatking ,

After reading this I decided to refurb my 750 release. However, I'm having trouble with with the t-nut. It appears to be jammed down in the receiver clamp and is not cooperating.

This has the effect of wedging open the receiver clamp so that the new spring won't fit over it. At least, that is what I think is happening; it's hard to see down in there.

Is this a common problem? If so, how do I get the t-nut out? Long M5 screw and a lever?

• Baller

@DefectiveDave if you are in the disassemble process, push the washer down with a screwdriver and the receiver will open. if you are assembling it, use the screw to position the nut and pull the arms (assuming the receiver and washer are in place) down so the washer will close the receiver around the nut. Put the spring in while the washer is still up pushing the receiver around the nut.

• Baller

@"Pat M" has it right.

$145 to replace the whole release unit.

REFLEX RELEASE MECHANISM 750

$20 for a new spring unit every 2 years and then replace whole mechanism when wear and tear, corrosion and/or just doesn't look right is cheap and easy. In the overall cost of skiing it's just not that much.

This is a Reflex sucks I broke my ankle/leg/face post waiting to happen, I see it coming... but not Reflex's fault.

• Baller

@skialex,

Thanks for the help! I hadn't realized the washer was preventing the receiver from opening during disassembly, so now I've gotten it all back together with new parts.

I was able to use a pair of tweezers to place the nut in the receiver. It seemed to help me maneuver it a bit better than the screw.

• Baller
I just checked and the spring adjustment on my 500 release is completely frozen as well. Being 5 or 6 years old its time to upgrade. If I upgrade to the 750, will my boot still work? I know they changed the boot block height when they went from the 404 to the 500.