Shipping a SKI: UPS vs FedEx??

david_ski

• Baller

@oldjeep Aren't they franchises that are locally owned? They have to make $ somehow.

Maybe they only charge higher fees to average Joe without an account. The UPS store quoted me $49 and at the terminal only $29 (two different skis, going to different states).

Edit: I left ups store and shipped the ski by USPS for $39.

Also, charged high rates at Staples shipping by FedEx, ski was only going from VA to PA and cost $47. They have gotta be charging extra.

• Baller
I always package, measure/weigh and then shop around. Sometimes FedEx is cheapest, others UPS. USPS can be a pain for those receiving shipments in a rural area, they won't drop a package of that size at my house, only give me a slip to come pick it up at the post office. The USPS hours are near identical to my work schedule, I have had to let things sit there for a week or two before I could take off early to get to the post office.

• Baller
I have had great luck with FedEx ground even to and from the west coast they are quick, I get a small Amex corporate card discount off their rates and they have had the best tracking options for a long time. UPS works well too, and they have improved their tracking over the last few years.

• Baller

Shipped MN to FL in Sept.ski box w/ blank ski 6x8x70” 7lbsAbout $80 FedEx ground

Checked UPS and USPS and accorrding to their online calculators were $120+

6.9 lbs $82.69 to be exact.$15-20 more than I was expecting, but fuel and inflation I guess.

• Baller

Seems really dependent on the area. To northern VA, I’ve seen FedEx packages that are like new condition. Pittsburgh, FedEx delivers every package destroyed. They destroyed two new skis I ordered and will avoid them here at all costs. UPS seems to treat packages better here.