Slalom course

Jhulslander

• Baller

they all take a little work.

If leaving it in the same place at my bro's place we used to set it up, ski it, then take the buoys off and drop it to the bottom leaving a marker buoy or two. Reattach buoys to use it again. We would do this for a week with a bunch of ski buddies staying there...got around the issue of leaving in a course overnight without permit.

Certainly saves time on one end...meaning dropping the course by taking off buoy is pretty quick. Bringing it back up obviously takes some time depending on method. If you can leave a marker on each end and have two boats from which to work so you can start on both ends simultaneously can go pretty quickly.

• Baller
For years we had to drop our course. What we did to speed up reattaching the balls was to take two buoys with about 6' or rope between them and slip them under the cable, then the guy in the water would hang on and drag between gates, attach the buoys and repeat the process. We could do that in as little as 15 minutes. We had one end of the course shallow enough that we could simply jump in and find it- if you can't do that @6balls marker buoy is the way to start. Can't tell you how glad I am that we finally got a permit to leave the course up...

• Baller
@nando yes even without buoys when running down the mainline to the next set of PVC typically used a rope section that that looped under the mainline with the end of that section in each of my hands. Kept it below the prop and we could idle our way to the next set of pvc and then do our work. Sometimes had to saw the loop back and forth with my arms to prevent hang ups of the loop of rope on the mainline.

• Baller
@6balls- exactly- the rope needs to be long enough that the cable stays below prop level. We just had buoys on it so that when we got the next diamond we could just let go while we hooked the buoys up.

• Baller
@nando cool adjunct to the process...maybe under inflated ones so it's easy to get it out from under the mainline when at the PVC sections and easy then to re-place under the mainline on your way to the next section of PVC? Could even tie some loops in there for your hands to grip into near the buoys.

• Baller
Insta slalom sets up pretty easy with 2 guys, easier with 3. Get the steel mainline instead of the rope. Hardest part is being the guy setting the second anchor if it is a little breezy, wear some leather gloves.

• Baller

If you drop course, make sure you know yiur bottom. We spent 3 days dragging for the course one year after the ball we left came loose and everything dropped into the weeds. You would think that much pvc would be easy to find.

As far as putting balls on, i just grabbed the mainline and worked my way from boat gate to gate, easy with a real life jacket on.

• Baller
@6balls, we never had a problem with hanging on- just grabbed the rope under the buoys and had the boat driver drag me to the next one. Under-inflated buoys are easier to slip under the cable and we usually dragged the guy in the water at -28 or -32. Once we had the process figured out, it took maybe 15 minutes. I hindsight, I'm wondering why I was always the guy in the water...

• Baller
We really like our insta-slalom. Going on 5 yrs with no issues. Fortunate to live on the public water where we use it. Invested in an old, dirt cheap, stripped down 20' pontoon to use as a work barge to put it on and out and store it on when not in use. 3 of us can have it in and skiing in 25min and pulled back out in 20min. The "docktoon" also helps keep the boats clean.

• Baller
I couldn't imagine having to pull up a course and attach buoys each time much less put in and take out a whole course. You guys are the true skiers! I would ski half as many sets a year if I didn't have access two 2-3 permanent courses and had to use my portable.

• Baller

We used a tracer cable from shore to the first set of boat guides. Snap a hook line on it with a buoy on the end and run it out to the course and pop 2 buoys on. Then put the snap line on the next section and run that to the next gates. With two swimmers we could get a course floating pretty quick.

Taking it off we drive down the middle and one guy swims out to the skier ball first then the boat guides come off. Swimmer swims to boat and off you go to the next gate.

• Baller
My boat guy makes it pretty easy on me. Very prepared and plans ahead so I get handed exactly what I need when I need it. Reminds me...need to order a new set of balls...one of two courses gets new balls each year always looks so pretty. Lotsa zip strips involved in pulling up an course thats been on the bottom each winter for many years in the muck.