2000 Response alternator bracket

foxriverat

• Baller
I have heard that there is an upgraded alternator bracket for some older malibu's. The one I have is the funkiest thing I've ever seen. I'm waiting for the small bolt to snap off the block. Anyone have any info if there is a newer bracket out there? The bolt that is out is the only way I could loosen belt

• Baller_
@foxriverat : If your existing bracket fails, since the engine is a small block Chevy, you can source an alternate bracket from one of many speed shops (Summitt Racing, Jegs, etc.) or even eBay as a substitute.

• Baller
No wonder it looked screwed up to me. The 2 lower bolts on the left bracket are just bolted to the alternator. I see they are supposed to thread into the block. Both bolts are snapped off in the block. The bolt on the right went through that bracket behind alternator to keep it tight. Can I try drilling out old bolts? Or will I possibly drill trough the block?

• Baller
The lower bolt does not interface with the water jacket so no issues there. The upper bolt has the depth constraint. You should be able to go 1.5 times the bolt thread diameter with no worries.

• Members
@foxriverat better be careful there, broken bolts can be tricky to get drill started in center, make sure you center punch first and start with a small SHARP drill. That project can go south in a hurry if you're not skilled.

• Baller

If the bolts were stainless it might be very challenging drilling. Maybe not so difficult to back out though.

If you are good with a welder you might be able to weld something you can turn onto the broken bolt. The heat will loosen the bolt nicely. I used that trick on lots of frozen/broken tractor bolts. Boats are tougher with more limited clearance and lots of flammable stuff nearby - so I haven't done it to boats. Yet.

To prevent breaking stuck bolts, during assembly always use anti seize!

Eric

• Baller
Yes. I have done this before. But never on an engine block. I already drilled a small hole in the middle of top bolt. The bottom bolt is all jagged and couldn`t get punch on center. I am going to get a small grinding bit to flatten it so I can center punch. I guess this was a common problem back in the day. I found this old post on the MC forum. This is the bracket I have. Looks like the newer bracket eliminates the bottom hole. Maybe I can get away with just getting the top one out. Need to find the updated bracket. https://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=4710&page=4

• Baller

The top bolt came out no problem. The bottom one is either stainless or someone tried to weld a piece to it to back it out. Got a hole punched in the center but could only drill about1/4 inch before bit was toast. I ordered the newer bracket today qpr125v01wc0.jpg

and I dont beleive it even uses that lower hole.

• Baller

@eleeski that is my preference but as its broken off below the level of the surface and recessed usually the diameter of the disc is too large and it cuts into the surroundings. depending on application that's usually a no-go unless its say the bracket you are replacing.

Its like dentistry where you can do a tiny little slot with a little burr and get it.

• Baller_
@foxriverat : You must have a silver horseshoe somewhere, nice to see the correct bolt came out, how rare is that! At least now, the bracket will break (at the bends) rather than the bolts in the block. I just had a Merc alternator bracket break at a 90 degree bend, decided to make one out of an aluminum tube and a couple of heim joints.

• Baller
@oldjeep Thanks. Probably going to have to order something. Cant find any left hand bits at the ace or big box stores. Also anyone ever try a rescue bit? I saw a guy using one in a you tube video. It drilled through a drill bit broken off in a broken bolt. https://www.amazon.com/Broken-Extractor-Removal-Rescue-Bit/dp/B00B1E5APO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1525883888&sr=8-1&keywords=rescue+bit

• Baller

Northern Tool and Harbor Freight both sell left hand bits. I got my set in the local Northern store.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/NTESearch?storeId=6970&catalogId=11652&langId=-1&pageSize=12&beginIndex=0&sType=SimpleSearch&resultCatEntryType=2&showResultsPage=true&pageView=image&N=2000152&ipp=48&Ntt=left hand bit&searchTerm=left hand bit&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Ns=P-SalesRank|1

That rescue bit looks like an expensive thing to try.

• Baller

Why left hand drills? Get a good cobalt drill. Maybe a diamond drill. Your EZ out doesn't care how the hole was drilled. If the bolt screws in while drilling, great. It's now loose and you should be able to work it out. Or just let it bottom out to finish drilling.

Of course the drive to the hardware store is good relief from fighting a hard to drill hole. As is giving internet advice when I'm supposed to be under the dash fixing wiring...

Eric

• Baller

Did not have time to get to harbor but stopped at Ace and picked up 1/8 and 7/64 cobalt bits. I had a small carbon bit break off in there yesterday to make matters worse. Bits did nothing. Used a small dremmel grinding bit and thats not doing much. I have some gearhead buddies who have a shop where they work on all there toys. I am just going to see if they have something to get it out before I spend more money on bits. If worse comes to worse I will just cut the head off a bolt and have them weld it in the hole and attach the bracket with a nut.asewcucpisx7.jpg

• Baller
The left hand drill thing is real. But you are now prey to the pecking at it with small drill problem. Even tool steel drill bits are way harder than the bolt. You have a dremel get a carbide burr and cut a channel and use the impact driver. To weld a bolt in that id still still it out