How many sets per day? How much time in between?

Usually I go out and just ski one set, but given the 30 minute drive there + 30 drive back + time to change etc, I'm thinking I figure out a way to ski more than once to make the commute more worth while

How much time do people take in between their sets? More than 15 minutes? Am I crazy to think that a person could ski 12 passes in a row? ie. 2 sets. I realize that at my beginner level (22off, 30mph), it's probably not as tiring as shorter line ... but I've never felt like I couldn't ski any longer when I finish up. Obviously though ... the way I feel, and the way my body feels might not align and my skiing after 6 passes could go downhill fast :|

• Baller_

Always at least 2 sets, sometimes 3. Skiing with 2 others provides the right amount of rest, but it’s reasonable with just one.

Edited: 6-8 passes per set.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
I usually do at least 2 sets when we go out on the weekend (sometimes a 3rd) maybe even a wakeboard ride mixed in, both Saturdays and Sundays. Sometimes maybe as soon as 1/2 hour rest between. If I get out with a friend during the week, it will probably be 2 sets, probably no more than 1/2 hour between.

Is the reason people take time in between mostly to give others a turn?

Again ... Maybe I'm delusional ... But there seems to be other sports where we're able to do 12 intervals in a row without taking a rest period to split everything up. (Trying to convince myself that I could get in 2 sets in 30 minutes. Would be so much more efficient wrt time, getting out of the water cold and having to jump back in, etc)

• Baller
If you can do it, then you can. After 6, sometimes up to 10, passes I need a rest. 20-30 minutes seems to be a good enough rest. If you can do more, then great....do it. You don't want to push things too much to where your form breaks down. Although sometime pushing it a little will build your endurance. And yes, there is a factor of giving others their turn when your out with ski partners.

• Baller_
No (on the crazy question), I do 10 passes per set, normally 2 sets with one person in between, later in season maybe three sets or 12 passes in a set so yes your idea could work but I think you will work harder as a beginner and tire quicker. One issue will be no chance to think through any issues and basically reinforcing bad habits due to single long stints rather than a rest with time to think. I hope your winter workout regiment was good.

• Baller

You guys are super heroes, I ski 6 sets 3 times a week, at least 1.1/2 hours rest between sets and sometimes especially in the off season I ski 1 set/per day 2 times a week.

6 passes only, rarely 8 when Im strong and ski pretty well.

• Baller_

To me its not quantity, it’s quality. Ski as many passes or sets that you want, but stop when fatigue effects performance. Once fatigue effects performance, you are no longer improving your skiing and you are risking injury. Rest is an important part of peak performance. During tournament season, your scores may be better if you ski less, although this may be less fun. Determine your goal and the prioritize.

I think that the more rest between sets, the better, so use the time that you have. If you have three hours at the lake, take your time. If you an hour, hustle. But why hurry through

the best part of the day?

Personally, when skiing public water at home in NY, we each ski one set, eight to ten passes each. We ski out of the boat ( 10 minute boat ride to the course) and by the time my set is done, I’m usually too cold to want to ski again and it’s time to go to work. Same for my partners. I may ski a trick set, ride my jump skis or open water ski in the evening. Six to eight total ski rides a week is plenty of skiing for me.

In Fl, I’ll ski one or two sets, depending on what else I am doing that day. If I am skiing two sets, I’ll usually only ski six passes; if one set, eight. I recommend the same to guests at our club. Over skiing early in a ski trip Is a bad idea and I see it as part of my responsibility for our guests to manage their enthusiasm.

A fall or miss early in the course may not count as a “pass.” But: if I fall at one ball twice in a row later in my set, I’m done.

Finally, be courteous to the folks on the dock or in the boat. They want to ski too.

Lpskier

• Baller

2 sets max a day for me. Plus rest days sprinkled in. I find ski 2 days, rest one works well for me.

I also find dropping at the end of each pass through the course is less tiring than turning around.

I suspect as my technique gets better I will be able to ski more.

Slalom skiing is similar to a heavy weight lifting session, your muscles need rest between sets and between ski days to let your muscles recover.

There was a time when I only had access to a course 1 week a year on vacation, so wanting to squeeze every run I could I made the mistake of skiing 3-4 sets a day, every day - which resulted in my muscles being so trashed I couldn’t ski anymore by Thursday!

• Baller
Used to ski 2 sets every day. Then every other day. Now is about twice a week. Aging sucks! Especially in the spring when out of ski shape. Last nights first ski of year I was completely spent after 4 passes @ -22. Feels like two a day football sore today!!!

I can relate to the logic of not wanting to extend a ski set when you're skiing poorly (thus reinforcing bad habits). But the argument works both ways. I had an awesome set last week - making 5 of 6 passes and feeling great. But then I had to stop because my time was done. Would have loved to keep going to reinforce whatever I was doing.

So maybe the key is to give yourself the option to keep skiing when things are going well, but to also cut bait if you need time to pause and reflect.