HO Animal-need to vent.

Orlando76

• Baller

What’s up with their Animal Bindings? How many of y’all have 2 zip ties holding the laces in the cheesy plastic clips/eyelets that constantly break and or pull out the leather? My binding has two sets of zip ties, my partners old binding had every eyelet zip tied in. He got tired of it last year, bought a new binding. First set it broke, took it back. Replacement binding broke first set. Returned back to perfski for credit. Decided to try a new one again this week, third set eyelet pulls out. Would return for a replacement but why bother? We shouldn’t have to keep driving to perf ski and bothering them.

Ski-$1800

Binding-$180

Zip ties to make the $1980 set up work- $3

tqxvay6xkcrb.jpeg

• Baller
Pulling those laces too tight was the reason that i broke my ankle with an OTF fall...if the eyelets are braking all the time, maybe you are over tightening..only your forefoot need to be snug. Everything above the ankle bone is not required - it just makes you feel secure...if i had my time again with the animal, i would cut the laces off above my achilles..

• Baller
@Orlando76 We don't see this very often at all (maybe a couple per year out of hundreds sold), but I'd love to help you out with a permanent solution. DM me your telephone number and I can call you to discuss.

Sam Avaiusini - HO Sports Company - Director of Inside Sales and Business Operations

• Baller

Im surprised we’re the only ones with this problem. From what I’ve heard the older white ones were better. Over tightening is possible, but the Harbor Freight zip ties are holding........ so we must not be pulling that tight. Heck I’ve never even replaced the zip ties and if my partner has I’m unaware. We’re disappointed in the excessive breaking but at the end of the day we’re still skiing the Animals for what that’s worth.

Sent PM out, curious as to what we hear back.

• Baller
The old rubber overlay was much better(pre 09) and safer IMO the new laminate seem to have very little give. This concerns me as far as release goes. Been on them for 20 years still have one old overlay squirreled away. Love to change but not sure it's worth the effort at this point.

• Baller_

@Orlando76 : You are not.

Just my opinion, most of the equipment used in this sport is not at the quality level seen in other activities, a lot probably due to such a low volume and how it is used. Not just an Animal issue. I can probably say the same for my body, gets beat up more skiing than doing anything else.

• Baller
When I switched from an Animal to a Leverage a few years ago I gained a bunch of buoys almost immediately. And it's a way better built binding, and I believe it's made in the USA. Very similar binding type so very little acclimation period and lots of upside. Give it a try.

• Administrators

@skiboyny Sorry that was a fat finger.

FYI - I am a fan of rubber bindings. I have made the move to hardshell but for skiers who are not running 32 off and shorter I think the Animal binding is a really good product. Oddly enough the world record is held by a skier who uses rubber binding.