HO EXO Complete - to buy or not to buy

OldboyII

• Baller

After hard rotating crash with torn ACL and broken tib I became (probably more than needed) concerned with safety of the bindings.

Skiing now in Animals w/o laces and thinking about new bindings.

I have offer for HO EXO, my size, complete system, not used - for about $200.

What could be ballers advises? What are Pro and Contra?

Pro:

Two feet in - less rotating load on the knee.

-Alpinelike release unit - looks reliable & predictable.

-Boots looks made very solidly

-???

Contra:

-???

-No spare parts (the most probably) - could be an important issue...

• Baller
Con on 2011 EXO is the zipper Con is it is almost IMPOSSIBLE to test release tension. Con the bar attachment is very long and I suspect hinders the flex in the ski. Pro's very supportive , well built. Exo forms are softer cuff I have the stiffer cuff pro's.

• Baller
I liked that system a lot when I tried it. I don’t know what kind of protection it will give for something like an offside tip stuff (crushing fall) where the pressure is on the front foot to release before the back. I broke my ankle in that type of fall on Powershells. They just aren’t designed to release in the middle of the plate where your frontheel is. I always released properly from my EXO but I wonder about that type fall

• Baller
The flex of the ski issue is big for the performance. I tried them, then I put Reflex on my HO S2 that I was on at the time. The Reflex made the ski come alive. I gave the Exo away for parts to someone that was still on a set.

• Baller
Have to give an recommendation to D3 tfactors if your looking for amazing rubber bindings. I went from Animals to these and love them. Feel extremely snug and secure when on but getting the ski off is SO easy that I know they'll release easily if needed. LOVE that knowledge that if a good fall happens they'll come off easily but feel so snug while on. The dual front laces are the key. Also much easier getting into them than animals. If you're staying with neoprene t factors are amazing

• Baller

Just out of curiosity... Ordered & received EXO Pro. Anyway $180 isn't a big price for a piece of waterski history )))

I really love how much brainwork and passion invested it this system, even if it did not survive...

Mount it but can't try because of rain and wind outside ((

On the dry land it feels pretty comfortable except one thing - rear cuff is too stiff for what I'm used for.

Question to ballers who used EXO in the past (may be still using) - is there a safe way to remove cuff on the EXO or it may be done only by destroying the hinge (looks like a rivets there) ?

• Baller
I had these boots for a while and liked them, but I agree with the other comments. Most notably that they negatively affected the flex of the two skis I used them on. I didn't even think about that until I read about it in Fin Whispering. While that book doesn't address those boots by name, it makes note about that style of boot and ski flex. Sure enough when I transferred to the Edge and a half boot rear I thought my ski turned a little better. I only released out of them once, which happened to be in tournament. Everything worked as advertised and I was happy with them. I can't think of an easy way to remove the cuff without breaking it off. For $180 I think you did pretty well - enjoy!

• Baller

@Glydon it is possible to make a release test, but you may hurt yourself ))

I did it on the tension a bit lower than medium. I imitated OTF holding both hands at horizontal bar on the head level. It worked well, though I agree that it would not be possible on the dock (or people around will have some fun)

@Rob I also checked ski flex - placed ski on volume of L.Tolstoy's "War and Peace" under front of the ski and 3 volumes of Dreiser's trilogy under the tail ))

Construction of aluminum rail allows it: Under my weight + 40 kg dumbbells It flexes same range as with other bindings.

Although I have no idea how tournament skier flexes the ski.

As I understood from former HO marketing the target group for EXO are skiers from intermediate to advanced level. Not experts nor sportsmen. I evaluate myself as a lower end of intermediate group ))

• Baller

@Glydon I'm 85kg.

Setting was on B (I have version with A/B/C/D marks)

It worked when I did REALLY dynamic and quick imitation. You a kind of throw your body forward like it happens on the water. And... I am not going to repeat it because almost fell down.