03 Response LX PP hunting

Justin_C

• Baller

I've got an 03 Malibu Response LX with stargazer 3 event v.8. It's hunting really bad and won't settle on a speed. I have the course mapped and even when I bring the throttle up easy with a long set up it still over shoots to almost 38mph before trying to come back down. Times are all over the place. I ran it in rpm mode and it seems to hold fine. I tried tightening the spring and it didn't help at all.

Ideas?

Thanks

• Baller

Upgrade to version 9 before you do much else. Invert your tach signal. For the throttle spring boat off push throttle to 3/4 position then turn the knob on the servo motor and you should see the arm move. If you see any slack or slow response get another spring on the throttle

• Baller

Yes so when you apply the throttle with key off the lever on the thottlebody moves, PP is off and doesn't do anything. This is essentially the same as a boat with out a PP.

Once it is forwards if you turn the knob on the servo it will loosen the cord and the throttle arm on the throttle body should close with no slack under power of the throttle return spring. In operation all PP does is provide slack so the closing of the carb occurs due to the pressure of the throttle return spring.

If when you twist the knob there becomes slack and the throttle doesn't close or closes slowly leaving slack then your boat will not slow down. In response PP gives more slack and then you hit a wave and the arm closes and then PP freaks out as the boat drops to 15 mph and it piles on the throttle again.

Properly set up you want to engage and slowly give itextra throttle if you want to use Z box so it has extra throttle available. If you get it right on the edge it won't have any throttle available for zbox.

• Baller

i could be wrong, but if it's holding in RPM mode I don't think it's a spring or cable issue. I know a lot of Malibu guys invert the tach. Also maybe your baselines are way off - i heard in ver8 you can lower the baselines about 150 rpm to allow the system to engage a little earlier (i think that might be in the manual)

what engine do you have ? Moonsoon or LS1 ?

• Baller
The perfect pass system is designed so that your boat throttle goes higher than the set speed and is adjusted by a servo that lowers it and raises it as needed. The servo has the ability to lower the speed, but the only thing that lets it go back up is the return spring. You can put an additional spring on with some zip ties to see if the extra tension helps you. The spring has to be able to pull the throttle back when the servo lets out slack. I hope this makes sense.

• Baller
@Mitzysman many will pass the rpm mode and suck on GPS mode. RPM mode just isn't that dynamic it slowly tweaks up and down around the target rpm but mostly isn't moving the throttle where as GPS speed mode particularly with a z-box is actively moving the throttle.

• Baller
So I called and got Gary at Perfectpass and he ran me through a few tests and, long story short, got it figured out. The prize for most accurate answer (which I didn't see until just now) goes to @Mitzysman. Thanks for the info!

• Baller
I haven't upgraded to version 9 but I find with my Stargazer which is set up well I still need to be careful not to overshoot the target boat speed by too much or else it takes too long to settle down to speed. We have a short setup so being careful is important. Kind of a pain particularly for drivers new to my boat that are used to ZO on a drive by wire boat.