Early 2000's Malibu Response vs Ski Nautique

Justin_C

• Baller
Potentially looking to move up a few years in our boat and the Response LX and SN 196 seem to be the front runners. We ski in a course on a public body of water that is very sheltered and primarily only ski. The odd occasion it is nice to just take it for a cruise so we would like something that handles reasonably well (for a ski boat) in rougher water. Just wondering people insights on the two boats.

• Baller
Can't go wrong with either. Open bow and Wedge on the Malibu are nice and make it a more versatile boat. 196 is a more solid build. Both have their strengths and weaknesses in the wake department depending on speed and length. 196 has the trademark Nautique 22 off rooster but by most accounts is little better shortline wake. Both have good wakes though. Nautique will be a little quieter if early morning sets on public water are your jam and you're worried about local dogooders.

• Baller

Pricewise it seems as though the Nautiques hold their value a little better meaning that a Response may be more practical as our budget would probably fall around the 15k mark.

Can anyone speak to the performance in rougher water?

• Baller_
Wait, did rooster tail just get mentioned in the same breath as a 196?? Bubble butt 196s have no rooster tail that I've ever seen. Having the wedge and open bow could be a driving factor for sure in choice but a bubble butt 196 has better wakes especially at slower speeds and longer line lengths IMHO.

• Baller

@Wish skied them both in college a fair bit and preferred the 15 off of the 196, 22 off of the Response. Neither was a bad wake.

@Justin_C both will kick your butt. Nautique is a more solid boat and will likely take a repeated pounding a bit better. Response of that era has nicer seats, thicker foam. @FSSPCat gave good guidance above.

• Baller

Both nice, can get the 'Bu with open bow (small) and wedge to make more versatile. If you barefoot you will prefer the 'Bu way better barefoot wake. Slight edge to the 196 on slalom for me starting at 28 off and shorter and also for my friend that starts at 22 off 34 mph. Shorter than 28 off 34 mph both are excellent. Tracking better on the 196 in the course.

Rough water...neither is good they are ski boats. Will say the 196 feels like a damned brick going though rough stuff on the way to smooth water at slow speeds...just zero boat flex/rattle etc...at least mine anyway like it just punishes the waves or like the entire thing is made of one piece.

Edge to Nautique on overall build quality...but both are very nice.

Rope almost never catches on the back of a bubble but Nautique while idling around a skier due to bubble butt and tapered platform.

Stupid comment as you can get used to either...Nautique backs up leftward, 'Bu to the right.

• Baller

Don't forget that up until 2002 you can get the nautique in an open bow as well. They are rare and hard to find, but they do exist. I haven't skied a response and I've only ever even driven one for about 5 minutes around a lake, so I can't make a direct comparison, but I can tell you that I LOVE my 97 Nautique open bow.

Sometimes the wind rolls in while skiing and I have a long bumpy ride back to the marina right into the face of the waves coming right at me. I just go slower as the waves get bigger. I end up going about 9 mph when they get really big and life is still just fine. I am happy to do it in order to get a boat that is so great in the course.

• Baller
At the end of my dock is a 03 LX and at our ski lake we have a 08 196. I drive both 3-5 days a week. I'm just a 15-22 off skier so can't vouch for shortline but to me its a tossup as far as wake characteristics. The 196's wake my be a bit softer but I think the LX's is a bit smaller. The driving position is much better in the 196, in the LX you feel like you are sitting in a hole. To me the build quality is also a tossup. If I had to make a choice between the two boats it would come down to what boat I could get the best deal on.