thought we could handle a little chop

h2onhk

• Baller

Given newer skis are much lighter than skis of the past, how do you guys manage a little bit of chop? Not rollers or boat waves nor white caps, but when the wind kicks up a bit as is putting down a firm pattern on the water (say 3-5"). I ride a D3 X5 and my brother is on a Lithium vapor and both of us have a hell of a time getting the ski to stick in the turns. Just seems like my old KD7000 would anchor in the water better. Public water portable course so conditions aren't always ideal.

• Baller
On an open water public course without much protection you should be able to ski your best with a 12 mph head/tail wind. Any more wind than that gets tough for a recreational skier. Pro skiers are strong enough to handle more wind. I watched Regina run 39 with a 25 mph tail at Atlanta one time, with no rodeo. Jeff Rodgers did the same at the same tournament. Chad Scott ran a nice 39 tail at that windy tournament also.

• Baller
FWIW...I have found a large difference on how different skis respond in rough water. My son has a 2018 vapor pro build. It seems to handle chop better than most skis. Seems like the soft tip helps in this regard.

• Baller
99% sure most of it is my technique and I would never want to go back to a heavier ski. Was just an observation we talked about in the boat after a few sets in some chop. We rode on some glass last evening. Just can't put a price on perfect conditions.