ski sizing no mans land

jskier43

I always seem to hover between 195 and 205 , this seems to always be the grey areas on each manufacturers skis. I'm looking to try the D3 evo this fall and hopefully the new GTR . I'm normally 3 to 4 balls into 35 off this summer so far(34 mph). current ski is a 2015 67" v-type but was wondering if a jump to a 68 would help.

• Baller

Same thing as you on all the numbers.Always been on 67 until last year where my skiing weight went up to 208 and needed a ski.Got myself a 68 Quest 45 but during winter i lost weight and i'm down to 190.68 feel great with easier deepwater start and less tiring to ski.

I adjusted bindings and fin to make the ski feel a bit shorter and everything is fine on the 68 and i ski exactly the same scores (2-3 at 35 ) as on my 67 Radar.

I never felt that the 68 was too big after losing weight.

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller
My other sport is powerlifting, and my weight can and has fluctuated wildly from 190 up to 250 and back in a year. Most 68" skis I have been on work great from 190-210 and then start to roll off performance wise after that. At about 220 they start turning like pigs and the deep-water starts become very difficult. Unless you want to get and stay below 190, I would personally roll with a 68.

• Baller
Are there any good intermediate skis out there that are a 68"? I'm always right in the middle of a 67 and a 69 for all of the weight ranges for the senate, HO skis etc. The only ones in the 68" length seem to the be the high end ones. I ski 15 off 32-34 mph. I currently ski a HO CX superlite 69 inch. I feel like something shorter might be a little better for me at 190 - 195 lbs... but am a little hesitant to pull the trigger on a 67".

• Baller

At your size I honk a 67” Omni, Senate or V would work fine at 32 or 34 mph. I weigh 205 and have been skiing a Katana at 30 mph 22 off- 32 off and am just about to get back on my Goode Mid which is 66” and will start at 32 mph. The Goode Mid looks smaller to me than a 67” Senate or Omni.

HO has a demo program so you could try one and if you need a bigger one swap it. H2OProshop does something where you commit to buying a ski and they will swap it out if it doesn’t work.