Prostar screen

LoopSki

• Baller
Went to a lake that had a 5 mile bumpy road to access. Not sure if that cause it. But when I got home the screen had fallen back and laying back. Needless to say I was pissed off when I got home and saw this. Pushed it up and is where it should be. But I don't think this should happen. Anyone else ??

• Administrators

@LoopSki

I spoke to Aarne Clow at MasterCraft about this. He said it is a known issue and that they are working to correct it. Aarne also said that you can take your boat to your local deal to have this fixed.

• Administrators
@swc5150 if your screen doesn't seem loose you have nothing to worry about. Mind you this is my random opinion if you're nervous call your dealer.

• Baller
Really irratted with this screen issue. I haven't been able to get it to the dealer to fix it due lack of time/ need the boat. I did what they suggested but it only helped for a bit. Even had to use ducktape to keep in place. Now nothing works. Constantly falls back. Thought about glueing it in to get me by the weekend. But that would be a mess. It does ok on our ski lake. But trailering or any bumps on open water it's falls. Hope dealer can permantly fix it. The opening is trashed now from falling out so many times.

My ‘14 has an odd mounting....guessing it hasn’t changed. The display is sandwiched between the billeted aluminum bezel and the Fiberglas dash...no through holes in the fiberglass. Long socket head screws hold it all together and then those same 4 screws have another set of “ears” that are randomly poditioned to hold (or clamp) the display in position with another set of nuts to clamp the assembly to the fiberglass dash from behind. Bottom line...if those four nuts are not tight, those “ears” will swivel out of position and compromise the display staying in place. It’s an easy fix and once tightened, it stays in place. I have thousands of road miles on mine after the fix. The design could be better however...

• Baller
@Horton sounding off hoping the fix is permanent. Tightening those tabs won't fix at this point. It's completely worn out. Also just venting as it made a tough day yesterdat with panicking kids. Large lake rough water , screen kept falling back. I was concerned it would fall out completely and shutting down boat. Was having to balance driving and holding screen. Meanwhile rough water would bump throttle. It was quite the multitask.

• Baller

@LoopSki, have you removed the panel yourself? Like @sodbuster88 said, it’s only those 4 screws that hold the screen to the bezel/faceplate and bezel/faceplate to the dash. If you take them out, which takes a good bit of contortion, but a 1/4 inch socket, deep well if you’ve got one, will do it in a few minutes.

Take the panel off and re-screw those little all-thread screws back into the faceplate, and tighten those nuts back against the screen and the screen can’t fall out. That is, unless the threaded holes in the faceplate are stripped, themselves. After that nut, those little “dog ears” go on. I only put one side of those on, then put the plate/screen assembly back in, and then get back under it and put those last dog ears on and tighten it.

If the threaded holes in the plate are stripped, you’ll either have to get a new plate, or through-drill those holes and put lock nuts on the outside. That will not look good on a new boat, I’m sure, but it would work.

• Baller
I figured out the problem. At least pretty sure . The opening was cut too big and the screen does not have enough meat to sandwich in and tighten. That's why no matter how tight I get it, the screen eventually falls back. Have a call in to MC too see how they can find a fix. If anyone has a temp fix please let me know. Dealer can't see it till next week.

• Baller
That is odd. I hope you get it sorted out. My screen is attached to the plate, so really can’t fall out unless it’s comes unscrewed from the billet aluminum plate itself. I’m sure the dealership can handle it for you. It does sound like a pain. I wish I was in your area, I’d help you look at it. My local dealership is no longer a Mastercraft dealer, so getting to a dealer is not a “local” thing.

• Baller
I've have the same issue on my 2014. Last winter I got up under the dash and re-tightened the nuts and flip tabs. Unfortunately on mine, it appears that during factory install, one of the embedded studs in on the backside of the touch screen housing, was pulled out. Someone finagled it together at the factory, but I'm afraid that in my circumstance, I'll need a new display to get back to the not so great, factory mount set-up. This is a good thread, as I was unsure how much traction I would get with the dealer on a 4 year old boat.

• Baller

muotdxgp2cd3.jpg

I don't have a recent pic. Obviously taken in the winter , notice the temp. You can see on the right how the opening was cut big. Not sure if it's supposed to be that way. The other side which you can't see is cut big along the side. So what is happening is there is not enough meat left on the opening to keep the screen up . it doesn't matter how tight those tabs get . initially only happened on a bumpy road. It would stay on place on our lake. But now that it has fallen so many times , what was left of the opening has worn down. So now it even falls changing setting. Waiting to hear back from MC. Have an appt at dealer next week. But dont want it sitting there while they scratch heads to find a solution. Last week's of season !