2012 Mastercraft Prostar 197 Water pump bearing bad on 5.7 ILMOR engine.

oldmanskier

• Baller

The main water pump (engine water pump) that bolts to the engine main bearing went bad.

I was not at the lake for a week due to work on call and when I came back the guys said the boat is making a loud noise around the pulleys.

They had been skiing it anyway for a couple of days with the boat making the noise.

I loosened the belt and could wiggle the main pulley on the water pump.

I could not believe the guys skied with the pulley having that much wobble. Surprised the belt did not come off or the pulley. The bearing in the Water pump was major worn out. I had them to quit using the boat until we can get a new water pump installed.

Question:

The guys want to go to an Auto Parts store and try to find a Water Pump that will fit our boat.

I want to order a Water pump that is for the our Mastercraft either from mastercraft dealer or a Boat parts place that has a Water pump for our boat.

Is a water pump from an auto parts store quality enough for a Ski Boat?

Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

oldmanskier.

• Baller_
@oldmanskier : It all depends on the specific pump you get and your cooling system will determine the need. A marine pump will have a corrosion resistant impeller, either brass or plastic. A budget automotive pump may have a stamped steel one that can / will corrode in an open cooling system. You can get a marine one at various auto parts stores. If you have closed cooling and run antifreeze through the circulation pump, any pump will work just fine.

• Baller
What @DW said, plus I believe the seals for a marine water pump are different. Automobile water pump seals are designed assuming there is anti-freeze, which has some lubricating properties. A boat water pump, for an open loop cooling systems, assumes the seals have to survive running in a straight water with no antifreeze.

• Baller

Edit: Read the wrong year of boat,thought it was a 2017.

I did replace my circulating pump with a marine one from NAPA.

Was a perfect fit,came with both gaskets.

At some point a 350 is a 350...

You have open cooling or closed loop?

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller

Jody ' s right.

Ooops long link edited.

Search amazon" marine water circulating pump" for small block chevy, 60$.

Edit 2 :when i clicked on it, price went up to 85...???

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller
My 2012 MC with 5.7 has been through 3 circ pumps, 2 raw water pumps, replaced non-stainless freeze plugs in manifold due to corrosion, and watch out for the 2 raw water intake hoses, for early 2012 production boats, the inner coil spring that keeps them from collapsing under suction were not stainless. Mine corroded and got sucking into the engine. Ilmor changed the quality of these poorly made components late model 2012. My old 2011 that I had sold to a buddy who keeps that boat on a different lake had all of the same issues with that boat.