2016 vapor vs 2017 GT

Justin_C

• Baller

Thinking about making the switch from a 2016 lithium vapor to a 2017 Connelly GT. Just wondering if anyone has been on both skis and what I might notice between the two. I ski 36mph at -28 off. I have a slight tendency to be a little heavier on my back foot which I know is something I need to work on but I from what I have seen the vapors really like you to be heavy on the front foot.

Thoughts?

• Baller
@Justin_C I was on a 2016 Lithium Vapor and went to an NRG. I too tend to be heavy on the rear foot and cannot speak for the GT but the NRG is the best ski I have been on in 7 years. It turns well even if you are back and just seems to stay with you throughout the pass. Very predictable. Good Luck.

• Baller

@skiep Just had two sets on a 68" GT coming off a '17 Vapor

Super glued to the water - interesting feeling. Really slow in the turn which is good but maybe a little too slow. Stock settings. Any advice with the two advanced settings connelly suggests?

• Baller

True story about the Connelly GT feeling more glued to the water. It is not quite as critical as far as being balanced fore and aft on the ski, but obviously, like all skis, the more evenly distributed your weight is the Beyer the ski will carry energy into and out of the turn. Despite trying lots of different settingns on the GT, I always seem to come back to some settings that Fred Halt gave me when I switched over to Connelly from D3. I love 6.825, 2.525, and 0.725.

Also, understand if you can transition properly and insure that you have cast the ski out to maximum width at the apex of the turn, balance from tip to tail is mildly less critical on all skis. When the ski is trapped underneath you, generally speaking tail pressure doesn’t work well on most skis. The GT moves out from under you and out onto the carving edge very well which allows it to feel connected to the water all the way through the turn.

Good luck!

• Baller
@Sethski Thanks very much for your time Seth. Just had one set on a 68" so far(at factory settings). Really pre turn carved hard and slowed down quite a bit into the turn, maybe too much compared to my '17 Vapor. Might try the shallow long settings? similar to my Vapor? Or I'll try the ones you posted above. Are those for a 68"? THanks again

• Baller
Well I tried the shallow long settings from Connelly. Ski blew out on my onside a couple times. Never had that with my Vapor. Went to stock and kept flopping around onside 2 ball over and over. Buddy says ski is rally coming up at hte end of the turn. Will try Steths numbers tomorrow