How long should course buoys last?

kylegansel

Hi Guys - we have an insta-slalom course that is about 13 years old which floats in a public lake from middle of May to middle of October in southern MI. Most all of the balls last all season (sometimes into the next year) minus that occasional boat or ski that may damage them. With that being said I've had to replace over half of the balls from insta-slalom that were put in the lake over around the time of Memorial Day. They are all cracking / splitting at the top maybe from the sun? I've contacted insta-slalom to see if maybe we got a bad batch or something.

I've figured I'd ask you all who ski on private lakes how long your course balls last? Are you replacing them every 3 or 4 months? Seems excessive to me when in the past they have lasted much longer. I know the sun may fade them but it's like they're literally melting. Any other good options for durable buoys / balls you'd recommend?

• Baller
I have a bunch of random no-name buoys that I have been using on my permanent course on public water for many years. They look like crap, but function > form. I scrub them clean each year though. Some of them look like really old warn leather, but they keep floating!

• Baller

After two sets of round Polyform buoys turning to crap in just a few months, went to the S1 buoys for boat guides and Wally soft buoys for turn balls. Almost four seasons and they are all in great shape with minor fading. They stay in all year.

Also, underinflate the Wally buoys so they are very crushed/wrinkled below the water surface. Much safer.

• Baller

@kylegansel With the floating course you definitely should underinflate Wally buoys if you get some. For safety these are awesome as turn balls. Yes, expensive. But, last many years and you only need 6.

We also hang a 3 lb. weight at the end of the arms to pull the turn balls down so just less than half the buoy is showing. Your ankles may thank you.