Trick table on a 1996 Ski Nautique

m70win

• Baller

Both the slant back and bubble back Nautiques were excellent trick boats. Especially in the table. Better than the modern boats. I'm surprised by your experience.

The stock props on those boats that I owned were 3 blade. Maybe that's the issue. Or the hull warped. It should be great. I weighted the back of the boat to make the wake bigger but preserve the table.

Add or subtract rope length to move the skier to a better spot in the table. The table should be about 3 ski lengths wide (10' or 3m).

Eric

Thanks for the responses. I have posted on Planet Nautique and Correct Craft Fan forums with no response.

Let me try and describe whats going on. I've had Mastercrafts (78, 87) before this Ski Nautique, and have always used the green loop(32 off) with them. Also, I ski on 2 trick skis at 17 mph, and single trick at 19 mph . With this boat the tips of the ski dig in to the wakes, same thing at 28 off. At 22 off there is a second wake starting to form in the center, and 15 off the wakes are getting to wide, and to far apart to ski to for wake tricks.

I've noticed this same thing on other boats with 4 blade props. This is my first boat with a 4 blade prop that's why I asked.

• Baller

First, get off the two trick skis. Learn some toes instead - they are more points, easier and safer!

I adjust rope length in 1/2 meter increments (the short slalom sections). The rope at 17 will need to be shorter than the rope at 19.

I'm not sure what you mean by "the tips of the ski dig in to the wakes". That's usually a good thing - just tighten your core and power through the wake for a balanced wake trick. That boat has a nice lip in to out which helps. If you do a SS and your tips dig into the wakes, your rope is too short (32 off is pretty short). If the table is a mess causing you to dig in, someone sold you a 196.

Why are you using a 4 blade prop? The stock 3 blade worked quite well. I'd certainly start by trying a 3 blade prop.

Inspect the underside of the hull for damage, repairs, trim tabs, loose struts, loose rudders, modified rudders and a 4 bladed prop.

Do let us know what fixes it for you. A 3 bladed prop for tricks might fix the table on the new Nautique. Poor promo guys will need a slalom prop, a jump prop and a trick prop! But if it improves the skier experience...

Eric

• Baller

@Gus "safer :smiley:"

Absolutely safer than two. The nasty scars from 2 ski WLBB might last forever. Two skis are fun to play on - daffys, spread eagles and some fun helis - but to seriously rack up points, stick with one.

Unless you can't fix the wake.

Eric

@eleeski Absolutely! Fully agree! I should have explained.. after picking up tricking again about 4 years ago after a like 30 year break, since last week I'm back doing toes. I stayed away from toes because I don't have a release person. But I got too annoyed about those 'easy' 630 pts - grabbed an old 'front toe barefoot handle' and it works! Its a bit tougher, especially the TWF, but I think I'll get that one in as well. And indeed - very safe! Also in combination with the reflex binding - I had one weird experience with an edge catching fall where the ski went first before the toe foot had time to release, but it felt right, no hint of danger there. I don't think I'll put in a TO though, that might be pushing it :)

Toes Rock!

btw Regarding this thread - I have a SN 1997, with 4 blade prop. I think it also originally had a 3-blade prop. Mine came with a too small 3-blade prop, which I replaced with a better proportioned 4-blade prop. I also don't like the newer boats I encounter in competitions for tricking. But I'm not sure if a decent size 3-blade prop would improve the tricks table on my boat. It somehow doesn't make sense - I imagine a 2-blade prop would need more RPM - and would push a harder stream backwards, ruining the table. So the more blades the better.. but you never know. I'd be very interested in the results too.

• Baller

@Gus the beauty of the Robbins release is that the release person holds you in they don't release you. When you fall it is almost impossible for the release person to hold you in.

I know it isn't recommended but I frequently am the release person for my son when I am driving. I have an extension on the release rope and I put my foot on top of it. When he goes down I can't possibly hold him in. My wife who isn't a skier has pulled release for him although she prefers I do it even though I am driving.

@Chef23 I'm almost convinced.. when I don't manage the TWF with the barefoot handle i'd be forced anyway. But when I do, I don't think I'll want to take it beyond the simple 630 pts. But never say never :) Thanks for the advice!