Malibu Sporster LX

76SS

• Baller
Guys, I'm looking at a couple of different boats, a 2000 Sportster LX and a 93 MC 190. I'm familiar with the MC and know it is a great slalom hull but, I'm not familiar with the Sportster. I hear great things about the Response hull from the late 90's to early 2000's. Does the Sportster share the same hull or should I stick with the MC? TIA

• Baller
I had a 2001 Sportster and loved that boat. It is basically the sports cars of tournament ski boats. That being said, it had a pretty hard wake, small as it was. The MC 190 will have a considerably better wake.

• Baller

Thanks for the responses. One reason I'm considering the Malibu is for Perfect Pass. My wife is my primary driver and the more I can do make it easy on her, the more I get to ski.

Also, I'm not looking for a multi-sport boat (wakeboarding or surfing), I already have something for that. Just need a nice, reliable slalom tug with great wakes.

• Baller_
@"76S&S" : The differences are subtle, slightly sharper trailing edges and chine width / angle. Earlier Responses had the SV23 hull, the diamond is an evolutionary change. The bigger difference in the case of RLX v Sportster will be the width / length difference, result for slalom is a slightly harder (Sporty) wake. Keeping the better half happy is a key priority, PP is known as a marriage saver for good reason.

• Baller

I'll add to the chorus... it's a super-fun, multi-purpose boat.

The slalom wake is small, and ranges from good to great depending on what speed and line-length you ski. If you or some of your crew ski at 30mph or below, it might have a very slight edge over the MC. At 15/22 off, 32-36 mph, the MC might have a slight edge (just a little softer?). If you're shorter than 28 off, I'm not sure it matters. Either way, they're close enough that I'd let other factors influence my purchasing decision (how well were they taken care of, is it harder to keep up/find parts for a 1993 boat vs a 2000 boat in 2019? etc.). You won't ski noticeably worse or better on either.

• Baller
I owned a tantrum for a number of years, it was the really budget version of the sportster, skied really well, tracked fair but a bigger skier could pull it around a bit. I always liked the wake, definitely small interior, the only really major downside I recall is it's really not suited for bigger rougher water, it pounds through waves and was prone to stuffing the bow.

• Baller

Agree with @6balls if you're a shortline skier or even 28-32 off you'll move the boat around.Not the greatest tracking boat ever...

Sweet low slalom wake...

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller

I vote for the ‘93. Sporty has a small but firm wake.

Actually, I’d vote for whichever appears to be taken care of better.

What engine in the sporty? The 93 Mc is more than likely a carb 351, sporty could be fuel injection. That is a plus for most people, but not all...

• Baller

Thanks guys, you've made some great points. I'm not a small guy 6'2", 195 and tend to pull boats around so I'm leaning toward the MC which appears to be well cared for and I just learned that the owner has already added PP. Also, I'm a 15 to 28 off skier at 34, working back toward -32.