protecting shoreline during high water

bojans

• Baller
Our lake is currently at an all time high, likely 2' above normal. There are concerns that this will be causing issues with erosion on the shore line of peoples homes. We have already said no wake boarding or surfing, no spinning skiers at the developed end of the lake, etc. There now seems to be some call to not allow trick skiing or even to stop all skiing until the lake goes down. Given that our lake is at ground water level and has no outlet, the lake coming down will be a very long process. Has anyone come up with an affordable, easily deploy-able solution to help with erosion on a temporary basis?

• Baller

@BraceMaker our lake is never too low to ski, we have an average depth of ~35' with some holes of ~60'

we don't need thousands of feet of protection, really just a few hundred around structures that were built (walk ways, patios, etc) and never meant to be this close to the water.

• Baller

@bojans No clue. Just trying to think of something cheap for a a few hundred feet...

Maybe do two rows spaced 10’ apart?

Would be low cost to try it for a small section.

Thinking more, I may recall someone using it on this forum for a small area, but don’t remember thread. Search for rollers or waves wakes etc.

• Baller

Oh, the irony :/

Can’t really pump ground water away.

You can buy erosion mitigation fencing. Its about 16” high. Call your local lumber supplier (a real lumber yard, i don't think Lowes or Home Depot will have it, but Maybe...)or irrigation supply company. May make rollers, but that's way better than not skiing!

• Baller
The normal orange fencing (like you find at Lowes) won't work. The holes are too big. I ordered some online that has more material and less holes. We used it to aid in preventing backwash in a small area. It does help. Unfortunately I don't remember details. Just shop around the Internet. Comes in 100' rolls 4' high. Use steel "T" posts about every 10'.

• Baller

You're basically going to end up owning 4000' of plastic rubbish and 400 steel T posts with any possible option, be it erosion fabric, turf, snow fence etc.

I'd almost wonder if something photo or biodegradable would be available? There is an erosion material that they use around here made of something that feels like compressed coconut husk.

Times like these are when you wish you had a cable ;)