portable course

DGravelle

hi all I am looking for some input on installing a insta slalom course we put it in and pull mainline tight but course will not go straight does anyone have any ideas as to why this might be happening? any input would be good thanks.

• Baller
Make sure all the "diamond" shaped sections of the mainline that hook around the boat guides PVC sections, are all in place properly. Not sure what else would cause it to not be straight. I am assuming your not talking about "not straight" as in bowed by the wind or current.

• Baller

@DGravelle

Are any of the PVC sections resting on the bottom?

Is the lake weedy?

If it’s resting on the bottom shorten the pvc to ball risers a little so the pvc is floating but still below boat draft.

We set in a weedy area, the weeds prevent straightening. When setting We tie the risers very short so the pvc is at surface and tie something floatie to the mainline between pvc sections like a fender, bouy or life jacket. With everything at surface we pull tight and let it all straighten then go along and sink everything.

• Baller

Ours was on a hard(ish) bottom using 5 or 6 cinder blocks on either end. We would pull it tight and it would look straight but within minutes it would have a big curve again. What I figure was happening is when we pulled it tight and set the anchor down (only in about 8-10 feet of water) the mainline had enough tension to drag the anchors back, almost like an elastic. What I ended up doing was leaving the cinder block anchors in but installing screw anchors behind the cinder blocks. We then pulled it tight and attached the cinder blocks to the screw anchors. Straight as an arrow ever sense (except in crosswind).

Simplified diagram:

S--C------mainline-----C--S

(S= screw anchor, C= cinder blocks)

Basically the screw anchors just keep the cinder blocks from pulling back in but the cinder blocks still bear most of the weight.