A kinematic analysis of water ski jumping in male and female elite athletes

Luzz

• Baller

Ballers,

I just wanted to share one rare instance of recent research in water skiing. In her masters thesis, Chiara Ferrari (@Kchiara) and colleagues looked at some kinematics with high-level jumpers. I’m sure she’ll be willing to answer any questions, in the meantime, here’s the abstract of the study:

The aim of this study was to perform a kinematic analysis of the in-run, take-off and early flight phases in water ski jumping and to analyse the differences in linear/angular parameters between males and females. Forty-two elite skiers participated in this study (27 males; 15 females); their jumps were video recorded during competitions: the time course of absolute (trunk, thigh, ski) and relative (hip, knee, ankle) angles was calculated, as well as the (trochanter) resultant speed. Males were able to reach faster in-run speeds than females (25.4 ± 1.9 and 21.8 ± 1.2 m/s, respectively) and jumped further (56.2 ± 8.6 and 40.4 ± 6.3 m). Longer jumps were correlated with faster speeds in all phases (r range: 0.87–0.91, p < 0.001, n = 42). From take-off to early flight skiers extend their hip (86–109°) and knee (136–171°) angles, lean their trunk forward (49–41°) and raise their skis (20–51°); no major sex differences were observed in the body position (or ski incline) in these phases and none of the angular parameters was correlated with jump distance. Our results suggest that skiers should focus on achieving a larger in-run speed to maximise performance in this discipline.

4pxlteasj1d5.jpeg

Ski coach at Jolly Ski, Organizer of the San Gervasio Pro Am (2023 Promo and others), Co-Organizer of the Jolly Clinics.

• Baller
As a math nerd I would have assumed the key to jumping distance would be based on momentum (=mass*velocity) which would explain why men jump farther than women considering men are on average heavier and stronger (so able to achieve higher velocity). I think the ski angle is gonna be based off ramp angle? Curious did they jump off different height ramps?

• Baller
@MillerTime38 in alpine ski jumping, it seems to be surface area to weight ratio, rather than momentum that helps (at least once in-flight); in other words (and given equal takeoff velocity), less weight is an advantage when using your body and skis for lift/float. I don't know for sure if that translates to waterski jumping, and it's interesting (to me, at least) that the abstract above only mentions "early flight" (not the whole flight).

• Baller

@Luzz

Got pics from Chiara ? ;)

(Just kidding! She's Luca Spinelli girlfriend and a gymnast i think.Saw a pix of her last week on FB...WOW! )

You math nerds can get back to your numbers now...

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller
Some of those ranges are crazy, 20-51 degrees of ski tip altitude. Would be interesting to see raw data on which angle generated the highest and the delta per skier, do some skiers for instance have jumps at 20 and jumps at 51 or are most skiers within a few degrees every jump?

• Baller
@andjules I think the difference is alpine jumping you are not leveraging yourself against a boat to generate the velocity you are just trying to be aerodynamic as you let gravity take you down hill and alpine skiing you are jumping down hill, basically a controlled fall. Completely different than waterski jumping

• Supporting Member

"none of the angular parameters was correlated with jump distance"

This statement seems shocking. Was it also shocking to the researchers? Were any hypotheses developed as to why the flight angle of the skis could be so unimportant when it seems visually obvious that lift is occurring during flight? Is that completely an illusion and the skier's path is almost entire dictated by gravity and air resistance?

The nature of research is to make guesses, try to measure them, and then question both your guesses and your measurements! Here it seems so crazy that none of these angles are correlated that my first instinct would be to question the measurements.

Fascinating in any case.

Important note: I have landed zero jumps in my life.

Less important note: I have learned to REALLY not trust my eyes to guess at physics during my ongoing journey to learn the pole vault. So I am quite aware that when I say "visually obvious," I may actually be referring to something that isn't happening at all!

• Baller

@Kchiara any chance you would share your master's thesis? Interesting project for sure and the abstract has some intriguing information.

Assuming you've already presented this, and it was well received, Congratulations would be in order for achieving a milestone relatively few in this world achieve! How fun to do your research on something that also has been part of your life for a long time!

@MillerTime38 from the in run phase to take off phase the ski angle is based on the ramp angle. During the early flight phase is based on horizontal angle.

The height of the ramp is different between males and females: f=1,65 (5.5feet) m: 1,80 (6 feet)

@Than_Bogan if you read carrefully the whole thesis you will find that some angles are correlated to the jump distance, but not enough significant for many reasons ( not so many athletes, not all jumps were well performed...)

The most significant angles are trunk and ski angle after the take off.

For sure It would be nice make other research about it